Cichlid growth and color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eternal919

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, new to the forum. Just have a couple of questions. First off i have had my fish for about two years and they dont seem to grow much. I have tried everything including weekly water changes, feeding small amounts 3 times a day, feeding brine shrimp i even got a bigger tank and nothing. The other thing is they dont seem to show bright colors. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks

What kind of cichlids are they? Some cichlids only get to be about 3 inches

Most of them are african cichlids from lake malawi they are all different but they are all in between 1-2 inches. I also have some american cichlids but they dont grow much either

They are in a 110 gal tank right now. I had them in a 75 gal before

They are that big and you've owned them for two years?! All of those fish should be adult size and they are not. Were they stunted (kept in a small tank)

The yellow with black stripes is an aurutus. The orange one is a red zebra and the light blue with the dark blue striped is a kenyi. I don't know about the others.
They should be 4-6" by now, especially in that big of a tank!
How old are they? Did you get them from someone who kept them in a small tank?

Yup none of my fish grow that much. A friend and i get fish together and we both get the same size and in about 5 months his are like 3 times bigger than mine. And yeah haha the dont really bother each other much

The fire mouth looks like it is in horrible shape. These are the only fish you have in a 110?

Those fish should not be together poor fire mouth they aren't so aggressive so he must be getting bully wen the lights go out i ha to rehome mine so i went all mbuna and hap js

Those fish should not be together poor fire mouth they aren't so aggressive so he must be getting bully wen the lights go out i ha to rehome mine so i went all mbuna and hap js
Same with my firemouth, he was a lonely victim in my tank. Had to go for his own survival.

Trade em at your lfs and get some nice mbuna what i did for my fire mouth and banded leporeanus probly miss spelled lol but got an ice blue and red zebra and yellow lab for two fish so i gained one more fish lol

Back
Top Bottom