Cichlid help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in the works on getting a 55gal, which mbunas would be recommended for this tank and how many? I'd like a few different kinds/colors, and maybe some active ones as well. As for filtration, I'm thinking of a canister and an aqua clear 110. Along with a circulation pump and 2 200 watt heaters. Any thoughts on this setup and any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the links. I'm still having a hard time trying to decide which kind of cichlid tank I want to do. I'm really liking NW/south American cichlids, the Oscars, jack Dempsey, convicts, rams etc. Can I mix these kinds of fish or am I getting to carried away?

In that size tank only really a single jack and a convict maybe or two female convict and a jack. You dont want a male and a female of convict or firemouth as rhey get crazy aggressive when they breed. Jacks get big and oscars or outta the question. Rams can't go w any of them but are great for a 55. You could do a ram pair and a pair of apistogramma species like cacutoides along with a couple schools of tetra like neon or rummynose. Blue rams are sensitive and need an established tank due to that. Impersonally like lots of fish so is do African mbuna or the rams an apistos with schooling fish. You could do like a convict a firemouth and a blue acara and a school of mid size tetras like serpae or lampeye. Lots of options! Just don't get fish that'll outgrow it quick like oscars! Hope I didn't confuse you more!take your time and choose the right fish you want!

I'm most likely getting a 75 gal now, good deal at petsmart for one. I should have mentioned that earlier

That would open your options to more South Americans if you wanted to do then other than mbuna but still to small for oscars or other large south/central Americans. Look in this group for Thera called South America or African. Freak gecko just gave some great suggestions for smaller try awesome fish that you could look into.

Back
Top Bottom