Cichlid mating behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Breeding cichlids for the first time. Have had one holding but I decided to strip her and tumble them and my air valve came through and I lost them. I'm gonna let her hold from now on. Just wanted to try and see the eggs develop. Thought it would be interesting.

So, to encourage breeding again I lowered the temperature in the tank a couple days ago and today I put a heater in my bucket of water and did a water change and added warm water to try and trick them into thinking hey it's spring time to mate! Not sure how that's working yet.

I notice one of the female is a tiny bit plump around where her egg spot is. Does this happen when she is producing eggs to lay? And her egg spot seems a bit big. Is this also an indicator of future mating?

I know you can't really rush/force these things just thought I'd try to encourage them. Any other tips would be awesome.

Ps. I'm starting with breeding OB peacocks. I have a male and two females. I'm going to be adding two more females I think. I know they will mate because they have before it's just a matter of them deciding to get it on lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom