Cichlid newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaz77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just started down the cichlids route ,I have been reading on the net about making the tank more like there habitat ,I have a couple of live plants in there at the present should I take them out and make more hide holes?

What size tank? As for stocking and decor that depends on what type of Cichlid tank you want. There are thousands of species of cichlids, but a broken down into to two main categories, new world and old world. New world is your south and Central Americans. They can vary from a few inches to over a foot. Old world is your African cichlids and these are broken down into three groups mbuna, peacocks, and haps. Any idea on where you want to go with the tank?

What size tank? As for stocking and decor that depends on what type of Cichlid tank you want. There are thousands of species of cichlids, but a broken down into to two main categories, new world and old world. New world is your south and Central Americans. They can vary from a few inches to over a foot. Old world is your African cichlids and these are broken down into three groups mbuna, peacocks, and haps. Any idea on where you want to go with the tank?
thanks for quick reply I have been sold 2 blue zebras,2 yellow labs 2 rams and two golden Mbuna ,they are all small at present but the minute I talk my wife into letting me get a bigger tank it's done.i was going out this morning to get two more?

I see platys? And the cochlid with the horizontal black stripe is an auratus. They are highly aggressive and will easily kill your other fish. The rams and platys have no business with the African cichlids. I'd return the Africans, keep the rams and wait to do Africans until you can get a 55 gallon or bigger. Otherwise they are going to kill each other.

I see platys? And the cochlid with the horizontal black stripe is an auratus. They are highly aggressive and will easily kill your other fish. The rams and platys have no business with the African cichlids. I'd return the Africans, keep the rams and wait to do Africans until you can get a 55 gallon or bigger. Otherwise they are going to kill each other.

Agreed get those Africans out of there it will become a blood bath in there anytime now.

I don't see ram's in the pic, but the auratus and blue zebras definitely require a much larger tank. The auratus in particular need at least a 75 gallon of their own, or a larger tank if keeping other species like the blue zebras with them. Males claim about 4-5' of floorspace in every direction as their territory. The yellow Lab's aren't nearly as aggressive, and would actually be alright with the livebearers, but they will all eat the live plants. Even the relatively mild yellow Lab's will need a bigger tank when they grow larger, and ideally should be kept as a trio or quad (1m/2-3f).

I don't see ram's in the pic, but the auratus and blue zebras definitely require a much larger tank. The auratus in particular need at least a 75 gallon of their own, or a larger tank if keeping other species like the blue zebras with them. Males claim about 4-5' of floorspace in every direction as their territory. The yellow Lab's aren't nearly as aggressive, and would actually be alright with the livebearers, but they will all eat the live plants. Even the relatively mild yellow Lab's will need a bigger tank when they grow larger, and ideally should be kept as a trio or quad (1m/2-3f).
they are in there ! I have two one of them swims about while the other much darker in colour hides in the plant.

For future reference most people break old worlds down into rift lakes and rivers. And riftlakes down to Malawi, Tanganikan, and Victorian.

Malawi example - Mbuna, peacock, haplocromis
Tanganikan example - frontosa, lelupi
Victorian example -other haplocromis

For future reference most people break old worlds down into rift lakes and rivers. And riftlakes down to Malawi, Tanganikan, and Victorian. Malawi example - Mbuna, peacock, haplocromis Tanganikan example - frontosa, lelupi Victorian example -other haplocromis

If you want to get technical yes indeed, but it is less confusing since most people only deal with Malawian fish and haps and mbuna can classify fish from other lakes as well.

For future reference most people break old worlds down into rift lakes and rivers. And riftlakes down to Malawi, Tanganikan, and Victorian.

Malawi example - Mbuna, peacock, haplocromis
Tanganikan example - frontosa, lelupi
Victorian example -other haplocromis
Thank you I have been buying Malawi,

Back
Top Bottom