cichlid questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey,

I have a tank that is only 28 gallons, but it is 60 in. long, 12 in. high, and 9.5 in. from front to back. I would like to keep rock dwelling cichlids but i've heard they get too big for 28 gallons. I would also like to keep as many cichlids as possible too. Are there any rock dwellers like this? If not, then i would like to keep cichlids that dont get very big and are of the same type(Ex. tanganyka/malawi/SA, etc.)
So basically, I would like fish that like to go in and out of rock caves, chase each other, etc...
Please help me find some fish that are good for this tank.
Oh, i was also wondering, even if the tank is only 28 gallons (US), would it be able to hold more fish do to its lenth (5 ft.)? Because most cichlids stay towards the bottom dont they?

thanks in advance.

Based on the dimensions you've given, Tanganyikan shell-dwellers are the ONLY African cichlid I'd recommend for your tank. A normal 28 gallon tank is really too small for any mbuna, but the footprint on yours will make it virtually impossible to keep them.

I'd suggest looking into Neolamprologus multifasciatus or Lamprologus ocellatus.

Ok, how common are these 2 fish in lfs's? what is their average price? Aslo, can you put both together or should i not mix them? Lastly, how many could i keep in my tank?

I would only keep one type. Both types are available up here at my fav LFS. I got Neolamprologus multifasciatus for $5 per fry. I would start with 6-8 and they will reproduce readily.

wow, there that expensive for fry? :eek: lol. i didnt think that theyed by that much. Ok, so would there be any need for rock, like texas holey for them? any light requirements? anything unusual?

I thought it was a good deal and it was in CAD. They will need FW shells--I get empty snail shells at the LFS for 25 cents. You don't want the shells too big. Also, a sand substrate is best. They like to dig. Mine also have a piece of lace rock in their tank.

Ok, how big were the fry that you bought? Do you have to keep an eye on them till they get older, and till you dont have to worry too much about them, or are they pretty good on their own when they are young? Aslo, what do they eat when they are fry? I've read that you have to keep the pH higher for them. What do i do to keep it high?
I'm thinking of getting 2 HOB filters since the tank is 5 ft long, but only 28 gallons. Is this ok, and should they by 2 that are only for like 15 gallon tanks, or should i just go w/1 that is for 30 gallons (US)
thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom