Cichlid water conditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coxyhammer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I keep a pair of Rams.

What is the best water to keep these fish happy, i.e. PH GH KH ???

I live in a hard water area and the PH is about 7.8. What is the best way to slowly lower the PH? And what do I need to do when doing a weekly water change, so that I ensure that the water I add is the right mix to avoid highering the Ph GH KH again?

I have a Fluval external filter, bottom canister is Zeo/Carb, middle canister is peat pellets and the top canister is bio max and a polishing pad.

Am I doing anything wrong here and what products specifically do I need to add to my water for water changes to make sure it's all correct.

My tank is current 100 approx litres with just 2 rams, 32 degrees temp to combat ich and keep it away, plenty of bogwood, airstones, spray bar and plastic plants.

Thanks

Your temp is awefully high. Its should be around 80F, while you are near 90. Once ich is wiped out, it is gone, unless reintroduced. I wouldn't so anything to the water. It is better to use your water as is than try an alter it , in my opinion,as it is better to maintain stable conditions rather than try to maintain "ideal" conditions. I would change out the zeo/carb for more biomedia like sponges.

I agree with Bill. Stability is the primary goal. If you feel the need to soften the water, try a natural method (driftwood, almond leaves, peat, alder cones, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom