Cichlids flashing need a second opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezer40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just converted my 240Ltr tank to a Malawi setup. All the fish in the tank are new and most of them are flashing. My tank is over 2 years old and the readings are:

Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=10
PH=7.8
GH=14

Normally I would assume the flashing (which is along the gravel) would be ICH but as yet there are no obvious signs. All are eating well and show no other obvious signs such as spots, clamped fins etc that would lead me to a confirmed diagnoses. I know that ICH can sometimes affect the gills which is one possible theory or maybe it could be flukes? Any ideas?

Thje mystery is solved. I have some talapia in with the first three pairs I added (to try and calm down the aggression) but them removed them a few days later when the rest of the stock came in. The Malawi tank still shows no spots but noticed the talapia have a few on their tails so I'd say thats the answer. Thanks for the reply Meredith and yes I have read that article when I first joined the boards and it is excellent!

Back
Top Bottom