Injured Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tirrynia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

I just went to go check on my fish and found my Red Empress cichlid jammed into a hole much too small for it. I tried to very gently remove him (which he obviously was not a fan of). I realized quickly that it wasn't going to work and actually had to break apart the ornament very carefully around his head so I could get him out.

I am not sure how long he was stuck in there (I did spot him swimming freely this morning) but it was long enough for him to damage himself quite a bit. He has lost all the scales just behind his head, his pectoral fins are a bit shredded, he's got scratches over his face, a few lost scales on the back left dorsal area and his eyes are scratched. He's not bleeding but I am worried and have no idea what I should do.

I have an 80 gallon mixed tank (mainly cichlids) there are 17 other fish in the tank with him. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the best photo's I could get of him after he was freed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 19
I unfortunately broke my QT but I do have him floating in a large plastic strainer to keep him away from everyone else.

(excuse the color of the water I just put new drift wood in)

Attachments

• 20211113_213802.jpg
    20211113_213802.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom