ciclid water temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jumpingjack66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
iv been experimenting with raising my water temp in my freshwater tank. I have raised it approximately from 76 up to 78 degrees. I was wondering what symptoms i should look for if this temp is getting to warm for my 3 inch Jack Dempsey? or my other fish? :?:

I don't have Chiclids, but I keep my tanks at 82 on the dot [ as confirmed by two different thermometers ]

thanks for the advice. i have al lot to learn about this new passion of mine. iv been getting my advice from books and pet dealers. i think ill find better advice here. i'm not even checking water conditions yet, ive just been doing water changes bi-weekly.

Ooooo go check your water parameters!! Heh, its the guide by which most of us live by here *grin* Seriously tho, you'll want to know if there is any measureable ammonia in the tanks; higher temps and higher pH means ammonia is more dangerous.

As for raising temps, depends on the fish. As mentioned by ferret, 78-82F is fine for Dempeys. If the temps get too high, prob the biggest sign you'll see is breathing issues, as the higher the temps the less O2 in the water. That being said, I keep my angelfish tanks at 84-86F and they have no probs.

Oh, and the higher the temps the hungrier and more active the fish. Higher temps = higher metabolism :)

I don't let my tanks get that hot, but I've got more diversity in each of them. 76 for a community tank, 78 for cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom