Cockatoo Cichlid male or female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's yellowish it's a female for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah definitely a female as I first suspected. Apisto's are by far my favorite fish and I have quite a few of them (20+ different species, multiple pairs of each) and after looking at them enough, they're easy to differentiate between the sexes. When I first got into them, I couldn't figure out how people could sex them so easily, especially when they don't have huge fins but spend enough time with them and it becomes very clear. I know what to look for/at now.

Yeah definitely a female as I first suspected. Apisto's are by far my favorite fish and I have quite a few of them (20+ different species, multiple pairs of each) and after looking at them enough, they're easy to differentiate between the sexes. When I first got into them, I couldn't figure out how people could sex them so easily, especially when they don't have huge fins but spend enough time with them and it becomes very clear. I know what to look for/at now.

I'm thinking the same, unfortunately as they breed specifically for finnage and color they are getting harder to sex even at sizes that you could normally sex a wild fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It can also be difficult if they are in a large group as some of the smaller males will disguise themselves as females by changing their coloration to a more dull color that resembles the females so they don't get bullied by the dominant male. It's quite interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom