Confused with sumps??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I have a 75 gallon tank with an Oscar. I have 2 HOB filters and 1Canister filter. I never thought about making a sump untill I was watching thar tv show "Tanked" and my mom brought up "Can you make a sump" and I was like "I have no idea". So that's why I came here and why I'm asking these questions. First of all- What is a sump?? I know its like a smaller tank under a bigger tank but what does a sump do for a tank?? And second of all- for a sump do I HAVE to drill my tank to setup a sump?? Because that would probably be a pain in the butt.
Anyways Thanks in advance

-Brian

No you don't have to drill your tank and basically you can filter your water how you want with a sump.....there's a lot of diy sump project plans out there

It can also house heaters and stuff like that so you don't have to see it in your tank....I've seen guys make sumps out of a Rubbermaid toat and 3 drawer tower and have some very clear clean water

If you get a sump you will wonder why you didnt get it sooner.

Brian -

Two hang on the backs Plus a canister - yes you are ready for a sump.

As noted, you do not have to drill your tank but you will need to purchase an overflow box which basically transfers water from the tank to the sump.

However, its not as hard as you might think to drill your tank which in my opinion is better than an overflow box. Google GLASS HOLES they sell kits - everything you need to drill your tank and add an overflow box.

Personally I would look for a used professionally built wet dry sump filter. I see them all the time on craigslist for cheap and for a first time wet dry sump set up you'll feel better about it if you purchase something professionally designed and made for the operation of filtering your tank.

My guess is you could sell your hob's and the canister and not have to come out of pocket too much money if any.

The media area for bacterial growth is huge which means better water quality. Usually not much to clean and what does need cleaning is super accessible. As noted you can put your heater in the sump and you can do top offs and water changes through the sump as opposed to the tank (depending on how much water you change).

I would suggest you continue your research and consider a change to a wet dry sump.

Back
Top Bottom