Considering Shell Dwellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon comminity tank that I'm considering converting to a shell dweller tank.

I have a 55 gallon Malawi tank, but I know absolutely nothing about shellys. So here is where I ask a number of noob questions to help me decide whether shelle dwellers are a right fit for me (and vice-versa).

- Is a 20 gallon a large enough tank?
- How many can I safely have in a 20 gallon?
- What are my subtrate options?
- Is there special filtration or water-flow needed, or does your basic HOB spec's for a 20 gallon aquarium suffice?
- What diet do they need? Is NLS a good for for them?
- What temp to they prefer?
- I have well water that luckily is perfect for Rift Lake cichlids. What water parameters do Shellys need?
- Are there gender considerations that I need to consider (M/F ratio)?
- Are there species considerations that I need to beware of? Will I need to research each species for compatibility, or can any/all shell dwellers go together?

Are there good reputable online resources? Don't tell me to Google, please. I want REPUTABLE resources.

Thanks in advance.

Im glad you made this thread. I have an empty 29g that i started cycling today and i am considering shellies or some small central americans.

I found this site http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cichlidrecipe/shellweb/http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cichlidrecipe/shellweb/ . Is it's advice accurate?

From what the referenced site states, Shell Dwellers can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium. It also states that they can coexist with certain other non-cichlids e.g. Zebra Danios and certain Plecos.

Finding random sites through Google is all good and fine, but I would really prefer to hear from someone on this forum who has had experience with them.

I have a group of 12 shellies (lamprologus ocellatus gold) in a 30gal tank. They're great little fish, fun to watch and spunky little personalities.

- Is a 20 gallon a large enough tank? yes, a 20 long would be perfect
- How many can I safely have in a 20 gallon? I would start with a dozen, they will breed fairly quickly
- What are my subtrate options? Cichlid sand, they like to dig and bury the shells
- Is there special filtration or water-flow needed, or does your basic HOB spec's for a 20 gallon aquarium suffice? HOB works fine, low flow
- What diet do they need? Is NLS a good for for them? I feed micro pellets
- What temp to they prefer? I keep mine at 75
- I have well water that luckily is perfect for Rift Lake cichlids. What water parameters do Shellys need? I use Tanganyika buffer for my tap water
- Are there gender considerations that I need to consider (M/F ratio)? Not sure, I ordered mine unsexed, so far no problems
- Are there species considerations that I need to beware of? Will I need to research each species for compatibility, or can any/all shell dwellers go together? Single Species tanks are best

herp_mommy said:
I have a group of 12 shellies (lamprologus ocellatus gold) in a 30gal tank. They're great little fish, fun to watch and spunky little personalities.

- Is a 20 gallon a large enough tank? yes, a 20 long would be perfect
- How many can I safely have in a 20 gallon? I would start with a dozen, they will breed fairly quickly
- What are my subtrate options? Cichlid sand, they like to dig and bury the shells
- Is there special filtration or water-flow needed, or does your basic HOB spec's for a 20 gallon aquarium suffice? HOB works fine, low flow
- What diet do they need? Is NLS a good for for them? I feed micro pellets
- What temp to they prefer? I keep mine at 75
- I have well water that luckily is perfect for Rift Lake cichlids. What water parameters do Shellys need? I use Tanganyika buffer for my tap water
- Are there gender considerations that I need to consider (M/F ratio)? Not sure, I ordered mine unsexed, so far no problems
- Are there species considerations that I need to beware of? Will I need to research each species for compatibility, or can any/all shell dwellers go together? Single Species tanks are best

Thanks for the advice. How long have you had yours? Are they adults?

Back
Top Bottom