Convict Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canucksfan1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was jsut wondering if adding 12 or so more feeder white clouds to my convict tank will reduce the aggresion between the convicts. I currently have 5 in there and the biggest convict (about 2") is not allowing the other 2 to do anything (one is close to 2" the other about 1.5") they just sit up in the top corner of my tank (it's a 23 gallon with one half of a pot, a rock with a small over hang and a few live plants). If anyone has any ideas to reduce the aggresion that would be greatly appreciated.

5 convicts in a 23G is quite a lot for a tank that size :S I'd really recommend giving three of them back to the LFS and then upgrading your tank for the remaining two.

sry i didn't mean 5 i ment 3 and i plan on giving one to the lfs when i find out which are males or females, then plan on keeping a male and a female. They will eventually be going into a 29 when i get the tank back in a couple months or so. But anyway back to the original question what to do about aggression?? Add some feeder white clouds???

IMO, it wouldn't hurt to add a some dither fish. I think you can get away with it in that size of tank while your convicts are still small. I have a feeling you may have three male cons if you cannot see any red/orange on one of their bellies. You may want to see if your LFS will trade. I would get one female with two males until of pair forms, then take back the remaining male. This will not take long...

Yea thats what i am kinda thinking but unfortunatly i can't be sure because the 2 that are gettin bullied have really faded colors so i can't really tell, i have since added the larger one to my 55 where he has been doing good (not so aggresive now) and am waiting for the other 2 to brighten up a bit then we will see if i have a female or not.

they might be so aggresive because you are a canucks fan and not a flames fan lol .....go flames go

I would split them up. The cons will most likely just kill the white clouds and go right back to bullying the weakest.

It probably wouldn't hurt to add the dithers, but it probably won't help much, either. Fewer cons or a larger tank are the only options that'll work with any degree of success, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom