Convict cichlid killer! :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had 4 convicts to start with I had 1 before chilling with my C. American and S. fish then moved him to 20G long. I tried to breed them 2 males and 2 females. After I bought them I learned I should have 1 pair but I read somewhere on the net I should give them choices. So my main convict killed 1 each day until he is left today. Yesterday the female moved around the gravel and kept peeking in a shell today dead. They bodies have no eyeballs since I think he ate them :/ tore up bodies though and parameters were good.

You know convicts are very aggressive right? And have been known to take down full grown oscars? I have never had any myself but I'm pretty sure you are supposed to have just a pair. They are especially aggressive during breeding so that probably triggered yours to kill all the others.

So sorry to hear about your convicts:( I'm not experienced with more than one convict but I've heard they can take out fish much larger than them when protecting eggs or fry. Mine gets in little spats with my fire mouth cichlid once in awhile but luckily they have never really hurt each other. I'm wondering if the fish that killed the other convicts was or is protecting eggs? I'm sure there is someone else on here with much more experience with convicts, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry, I am a little confused. So, your 1 convict killed all 3 others and you want to know why?

Well kinda but I did find out since they are aggressive. Also wondering if he could breed with 1 female and not kill her? Forgot to ask O.O thanks guys :)

Well I just found a ton of convict cichlid fry in a pot with the dad/killer!!!

Weird. I have a dozen convicts in my tank. Fry at least once a month cause of at least 2 breeding pair and no issues. Even while living w/ red devil & Oscar.

Back
Top Bottom