Crushed coral substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jman17H

Aquarium Advice Activist
the point of the crushed coral for african tanks is to aise the pH to around 8 or so, correct?

Crushed coral obviously comes from the ocean so would large conch shells also work to do the same thing and not do something bad?

I have at least 5 of these things that are maybe a foot long sitting around and they would also make really nice caves. Most of them were dug up in waist deep water before they got a chance to wsh onto sanibel island in FL.

If they would work, is there any method I should use to clean them?

You're correct about the crushed coral. As the minerals slowly leach into your tank, the pH as well as the hardness will gradually rise and reach a stable point.

As long as there are no signs of the conch shells former inhabitant they should be perfectly fine to use in your african tank. I would just rinse them well in fresh water and then micro wave them for a minute. That will kill any bacteria that might be present.

Limestone will also do the same thing as crushed coral. If you live in an area that has it naturally, it's handy for creating cover for African cichlids as well as maintaininf pH/hardness.

Thank you

I now have a tank with limestone caves and a pile of large conch shells that should offer plenty of caves.

Now I just need to get my cannister filter running and the tank cycled.

Jman17H - you can but a bag of crushed coral in your canister filter, this will also keep your water hard.

Back
Top Bottom