Demasoni in a 4foot 55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently converted my established tank to a cichlid tank by adding texas holey rock on top of the existing gravel, and also adding 8 yellow lab and eleven 1.5 inch demasoni. Water quality is excellent, no ammonia or nitrite spikes from the sudden bioload (tank has been up and running for YEARS!), nitrate 0 to 10 ppm, pH 7.8 to 8 and GH 11. One yellow lab turned up dead on day 3 , and 4 Demasoni died off within 5 days. Now for about two week no more fish losses.

12 demasoni were recommended in a tank my size to disperse agression. I am down to 7. Should I add more? Or just leave well enough alone? I was wondering if con-specific aggression would start/resume (not sure why the 4 died) one day and I would be left with one. But I also am not sure how many demasoni I am willing to go through attempting a stable population.

Usually the issues would be acclimation/stress/poor stock more than aggression at that size.

If you can easily find a few more at a similar size from a different source I would try it. Maybe get back to 10? If you can't then 7 is probably going to be enough. Just a matter of probability.

Back
Top Bottom