Discus Bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I've had my discus now for 8 days, and the Yellow Discus is a massive bully. I took this video yesterday.

I don't have a QT tank to put him in, but I think it'd be pretty easy to get the misses to let me get a 10 gallon. But... a 10 gallon for a discus fish for a few weeks? Seems... Mean.

Tell me what you think:

Bully Discus - YouTube

What should I do?

Thanks guys

It's been quite a few years since I've kept discus, but I would recommend adding 3-4 more fish at the same time. This will help spread some aggression issues around, with more targets you'll notice dramaticly fewer strikes.

Last edited:
:facepalm:So I take it theres no frontal lobotamy for fish?

Not sure if I can have that many discus in a 75 gallon. I think my filtration will have to step up a notch, and I don't have the extra 160 + 200 for the fish+ new filter.

I have a Fluval 304, and a random powerhead.

Will your LFS let you exchange the aggressive one out? We have a LFS close to us that is just wonderful about things like that. We try and give them all our business too.

Called Cam (fish store owner) he's closing down now (the location) so he can't take it back. He recommended getting a 10 gallon tank and isolating him for a few weeks. Guess I'll have to do that.

He basically said to wait for another fish to rise up and fill the bully's spot as alpha, then introduce this one back.

He basically said to wait for another fish to rise up and fill the bully's spot as alpha, then introduce this one back.

The only downside to that method you never know if the next alpha fish will be better or worse than the original bully, I've had it swing both directions.

I've also had good success with a in-tank time out using a small laundry type basket zip tied to the center brace and then place the bully in the basket for a day or two. This way you maintain the same water conditions and the fish can still visually see the others, this has worked for me personally many times.

Basiccly like this one placed at the top of the tank, it's a lower stress option than placing them in a small QT alone for a couple of days. Think of it as a breeder net for big boys.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-162...ageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1335839525&sr=1-8

Last edited:
I had exactly the same problem. After some time, a week or so, my bully stopped chasing others. I didnt separate anyone, I think it is too stressful for them.

Well, not sure if its related, but my largest discus isn't eating. My smallest melon has tiny little bumps. Like lifted scales, along its top half. I'm assuming these are strikes from the bully discus, as he gets picked on the most. he is also red around the mouth, which I'ma ssuming is because he might have actually fought back.

Maybe separation is not a bad idea. My problem didn't go that far. Maybe you should try to put a see through divider into your tank. I think in this case fishes not gonna be very stressful.

OK, so Good news bad news...

Megan's Brother had a "10 gallon" tank laying around to lend to me.

Awesome!

So I come home from work and its sitting inthe living room. Having a 75 gallon tank, I thought "wow, that's a pretty small tank!"

Set it up... and a 4 gallon bucket fills it 80% of the way up. its a 5 gallon tank.

I look at my discus tank, and the yellow bully has offically caused a wound to the second-in-command melon. I decide to go through with it anyway.

So the 5 gallon tank is in my room with a 100Watt heater keeping it at 86, and a bubbler. I'll be doing daily 50% water changes to keep it fresh, as there is no filter.

I've added 1 piece of white PVC Piping, and 2 fake plants.

When I put him in there, he was stressed for a few hours, but now chills in it. He's clearly not happy, but he even took one "bit" of color bits food this morning, so he's starting to eat.

The good news is that he "hides" in the PVC tube. Hopefully he "realizes" that this is a time out.

I don't feel right with him in such a tiny tank, so I'm planning on only having him in there for a week.

Already, the 4 remaining discus in the tank are getting along. The "second in command" fish does bully, but its nothing sustained, and the other fish still school with him. He just pushes them around a bit. Which I expected for discus on the whole.

The largest fish that isn't eating pecked at a few bits of food, but spits them out, so at least he has an "interest" in food, and the dark bands are lightening already - Just from not being chased, and the melon that normally hides is out and social and comes up to the surface with the rest of them whenever someone walks by.

Anything I am doing wrong?

I don't see any harm in what your doing, just keep the water clean in the little 5g and he'll be back in the main tank in no time.

Back
Top Bottom