**Discus people must read**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of the many things I could say, I will just keep it to, thanks for sharing Brookster.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

No.. no good?? Seemed to drive some solid points?? I really don't know? By all means if it sucks than elaborate..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Umm, that's what I thought? But I was also thinking of ferts / glut dosing that may not be ideal with young discus as well?

"poor water quality is the cause of stunting when raising young fish"

I only skimmed this but thought if I did get discus I would get a tank to grow them out in and which would be bare bottom for lots of water changes. Then perhaps into a larger planted tank? Never kept them so happy to be educated out of interest.

I mean thats what people generally do. Mine are in a barebottom tank and wont have substrate until theyre at least 4-5 inches. You can see the difference in shape with clean constantly changed water/ vs lacked wc very clearly.

I mean thats what people generally do. Mine are in a barebottom tank and wont have substrate until theyre at least 4-5 inches. You can see the difference in shape with clean constantly changed water/ vs lacked wc very clearly.

Ah, got it.

Oh well, await further edification.

The poor water quality thing is kinda vague. So are they saying that planted tanks have poor water quality?
And if so, what exactly makes it poor?

Discus and koi seem to be the top two fw fish that get surrounded by magical care requirements. Not that they are all unwarranted, but just looks weird from the outside of those circles.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The poor water quality thing is kinda vague. So are they saying that planted tanks have poor water quality?

Discus and koi seem to be the top two fw fish that get surrounded by magical care requirements. Not that they are all unwarranted, but just looks weird from the outside of those circles.

I agree, I once heard someone quote "everything you think you know about freshwater fish goes out of the window when it comes to discuss"

Seemed a bit rash to me but hey I've never kept discus. Always thought about them mind.

I always wonder that perhaps it is the constant addition if something rather than constant removal something when doing constant large water changes that effects the growth of the discus. And can one really assume that rapid growth is the focal indicator of good fish health?

Not Starting a heated debate. Just want gentle discussion please I'm open to all opinion on this subject.

Interesting read though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I gathered it was our (planted tankers) need for a certain level of nitrates vs. Stunting issues with nitrates and discus?? The substrate not being cleaned would probably have a negative affect on them I'd think??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I guess that'd depend a lot on the kind of planted tank since some don't get any supplemental N dosing.

Do discus keepers use this same philosophy with other fish they keep?

Where are Tree and Severum when we need them? ;) Its the nitrates. Constant clean water changes are actually what grows the babies out the largest and healthiest. Ah, someday that'll be the ultimate fish project!

It's easy to run a planted tank at 0 nitrates. What else? Hormones? Has anyone tested water content to get some real data on the subject or is it all conjecture?

Like I said it's all opinions and nothing more. You know the old saying that they're like...well you know the rest.

I know nearly a dozen local GCCA club members who grow their discus out in heavily planted tanks. Their fish are absolutely spectacular in shape, color, and size.

Back
Top Bottom