Discus shyness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattefect

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I need some help my discus fish are still very shy. I've had them for about 4 months now. I had bala sharks ( stupid to put them in but got rid of them, had them for about 2 months) and recently ot rid of them. When I had my bs my discus were not as shy, maybe the bs were scaring them out? I currently have 2 discus quite small in a 55 gal with an African knife fish( trying to get rid of) 2 black mollies( also trying to get rid of) a pleco and a cory(trying to get like 5 more). So my question is y are my discus so shy. They swim up to me in the morning cause that's when they get food and at night also when they get food, but other than that they stay behind the plants and are scared. Please help and tell me how to get them not so shy. Thanks guys.

It's fairly normal for them to be shy when there is only two. They like to be in groups of at least four. I started with two and i had the same issue.

Yea I recently traded in my bala sharks and the pet store guy says he's getting new discus in next Friday and he says he will give some to me so :) just need to change everything around

Ok well I wouldn't get them the same day they put them in their tanks . Give them a week before you take them home .

Yea ur prob right they will be stressed enough from the shipment so I'll ask him to just keep them there then I'll take. So u think this will help shyness ?

And did u have to move everything around the tank so ur older discus don't attack the new ones?

Yea the pet store owner said I must move the plants around and the driftwood because the old discus already have their territories and they will kill the new fish if they come in it. Thanks for your help btw

No problem . Discus are schooling fish so i would have to disagree that they would kill eachother over territories . Good luck with your discus

Lil late on the draw here - but when new discus come in I use a couple baby angels or some dwarf SA, IME this has worked really well for me they teach the discus real quick who to beg from.

My rummynose are very shy I got a couple dither fish to help them come around... They are still hiding but I think it helped a little. Lol
It's worth a try

Back
Top Bottom