dither fish for jack and terror?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
My baby green terror and baby jack d. have done nothing but hide in their caves since I got them roughly 2 weeks ago. so I'm looking for a good dither fish for them. I thought that my 3 bosemani Rainbow fish would look great in there, but that turned out to be a mistake. I had to dig them back out before they got eaten. It wouldn't make any kind of sense to feed an 8 dollar fish to a 6 dollar fish... anyway, I believe I'm going to try about 5 giant danios. they are cheaper and still look pretty neat. any other suggestions or thoughts?

First what size is your tank? Allot of SA/CA keepers use buenos aries tetras as dithers. I don't know why but they don't typically get messed with. I have not tried them myself. All the ones I have seen have been with adults so it might be different with juvies not sure.

Well right now they are sharing a 30 gal until I get my 75 gal-- which I could go pick up if I would quit getting snowed in. I know, 30 is rather small for them once they get any size to them, but they really are quite small now and they won't be in there long. there is also a gold gourami in there with them. If I sneak up on them I can catch a glimpse of them very briefly, but as soon as they notice me they hide and will not come out until I leave. The jack will come out at feeding time, but only for brine shrimp. the terror doesn't come out until I'm gone.

Young new worlds generally are quite shy. I wouldn't add anything until you have the 75, as something my come up and you're not able to get it and then you're stuck with even more fish in a small tank.

As for dithers, giant danios or buenos aires tetras work best with JD, GT, and many other new worlds. They are quick, and larger bodied.

Cool. Thanks guys. I'm certainly holding off for more fish. I still think I'll get thr Daniels when the time comes. The B.A. tetras have been a pain for me in the past. They are actually quite aggressive for tetras. Or... what do you think about a nice sized school of tiger barbs? They would probably just be nice snacks for the cichlids wouldn't they?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom