Fishes tails melted off...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBandJ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I suppose I am venting as much as I am open to advice.

I had some new arrivals for a line breeding project and placed them in an aquarium. The fish had been here for approximately 2.5 weeks. I had some gravel, plants, and limestone in the aquarium. I noticed a couple showing signs of fin rot and a couple with reddish gills (nothing major). Water parameters seemed OK (ammonia/nitrates/nitrite all looking good). I had used API fin and body powder treatment, and I believe I followed the instructions.

I have no idea what happened here, but there was such a frothy foam on top. Some of it was rusty/blood colored. 2 of my seemingly healthy male guppies had their entire tails vanish in a matter of a few hours. Following this I've had some develop clamped tails and looking rather gaunt....

I have had quite a few die following this. I can't think of anything that would have caused a chemical reaction like that. Could it have reacted to an infection that way (like hydrogen peroxide)?

I have never seen anything like this. Anyway, my ick treatment had to be shipped and got too hot and didn't smell right. Otherwise, i would have used that.

I've done a water change and tested the water. I am letting the survivors rest (I removed the gaunt looking fish and half of them died, a couple look better). I don't know if it's parasitic, viral...or stress? I am hoping I won't be finding anymore dead or dying fish. I still would like to know any thoughts or experiences that might help me avoid similar outcomes in the future.

Pictures and video of the fish?

What are the ingredients in the API Fin and Body treatment?
Is it a liquid or powder medication?

If the fish had been in quarantine for 2.5 weeks and hadn't shown any signs of disease, then it's unlikely to be a disease. For large numbers of fish to die off suddenly and a red foam to appear on the surface, it sounds like a poisoning.

Did you do any water changes just before this happened?
Do you have buckets and hoses specifically for the tank?
Has anyone else used the buckets or hoses for something?
Has anyone else been in the fish room?

At this stage I would do a big water change each day for a week or so in an attempt to remove anything bad. Maybe add some salt and just hope for the best.

API fin and body is a powder. 250mg of doxycycline hyclate.

I might have some photos of the foam.

This tank is in my hallway next to an air purifier, and I haven't used any hoses for anything. I did add water a day or 2 before using this product with a clean pitcher.

It reminded me of how my grandfather used to clean his rocks in somekind of acid (cannot recall the name at the moment). All the minerals and the rust/iron bubbling up. The fact those guppies lost their tails had me concerned that the coloring was from them (I had mostly pink/corals in the tank).

Good news is my fish are looking much better today, and I have some gaunt looking fish looking as though they may actually be improving and they are eating. I won't be putting them back with the others. I am not sure if I'm seeing a parasitic infection (sunken bellies). I am going to treat them for internal parasites and hope for the best.

Sorry if I missed anything. I'll try to check back later.

Doxycycline is in the Tetracycline family so the foam is common with Tetracycline products. The thing to be sure of is that you do not use outdated tetracycline products as they actually turn poisonous as they mature vs most meds that just weaken as they get older.

Your Grandfather may have used Potassium Permaganate which turns the water a purplish color. That used to be a common practice for sanitizing things if you didn't use bleach.

My grandfather had quartz mines on his property, and they used to blow up the slick hills and sell the crystals and natural rocks. (Place had the most crystal clear ponds teeming with aquatic life--I miss it). The gypsum mines have actually ruined the whole area. I think even the rattlesnakes decided to relocate.... (never known of any other place so overrun by rattlesnakes, and they had annual hunts).

I know he used some type of acid. He bought it at the co-op. I remember lots of yellow, foaming bubbles, and the rust from the iron. It was fun, but not the safest place for a child I suppose. I'm still here though :)

I honestly did not even think to check the date on that product as it was brand new (and I should know better). That'll be the next thing I look at. Thank you for pointing out that seemingly obvious factor I failed to consider.

Sorry for the random life story telling ?

Back
Top Bottom