DIY Aquascaping..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well guys I've been contemplating doing a home made background or maybe some holey rock, how would I go about it and what's the life expectancy..? Thanks in advance guys.

I'm confused by the wording what do you mean by homemade background? Do you want to add holy rock to your tank? Or make a background out of that? And life expectancy of what?

I'm confused by the wording what do you mean by homemade background? Do you want to add holy rock to your tank? Or make a background out of that? And life expectancy of what?

I want to either make a permanent background, or make myself some holey rock, and life expectancy of the material i.e. concrete, silicone, foam, etc I've heard alot about concrete flaking after a month or 2

Oh ok you want to make a background and holy rock DIY. I get it now. Never personally done it so I'm not really sure. I think there is a DIY forum somewhere on this site that you might find some answers

Oh ok you want to make a background and holy rock DIY. I get it now. Never personally done it so I'm not really sure. I think there is a DIY forum somewhere on this site that you might find some answers

There is, an I've browsed, but nothing with exact measurements or mixtures or what concrete and water ratios etc, just thin coats and thick coats one thin and thicker concrete mixtures.

Ahh that sucks. Maybe someone else that knows will chime in

I know hopefully, it's been frustrating as hell ill be upgrading tanks soon and I wanna get this done before because supposedly the universal set time is 24hrs for the concrete on styrofoam.

I've done it, huge waste of time and money IMO. I have a thread in DIY under 90 gallon build/rebuild if you want to get an idea of the process. Just paint the background black and get some holey rock.

Ya DIY back grounds can come out sweet. But, you want to make a whole DIY decoration tank. If you get it done, post the pictures. I'd love to see it.

I've done it, huge waste of time and money IMO. I have a thread in DIY under 90 gallon build/rebuild if you want to get an idea of the process. Just paint the background black and get some holey rock.

I have sand substrate already and I already painted the tank background but I can't afford holey rock :(

I have sand substrate already and I already painted the tank background but I can't afford holey rock :(

Look into river rock from landscape store. Looks good and fish won't cut themselves and u can get good colorful ones

Go to your local landscaping company and get some basalt, sandstone, limestone or some nice big river rocks. Normally you can get 100 lbs for less than $20 bucks. I got some "blueberry" basalt when I had Africans and it looked killer in the tank and I only spent $14 bucks on it.

I like brown/tan sand and an assortment of darker colored river rocks, but that's just me. I get good solid colors that way with out the fish being washed out even with a brighter lighting.

River rock from landscaping store. Paid 15 dollars for it all.

Attachments

• image-3339043404.jpg
    image-3339043404.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 140
Try dendroboard.com. They have all kinds of waterproof background DIY. Also vivariumforum.com and monsterfishkeepers.com are great sites for DIY

Back
Top Bottom