Do cement and Discus mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I used quickcrete also, regular old portland cement not the water-stop Instant plug... I don't know what happened. I did four coats too. It was strange how easy it was to poke your finger right through it in a few spots. Anyway, I never had any intentions of cleaning algae either, I always let it grow on the back wall even when it's just bare glass. I just noticed you painted yours, Tha Bone. Are you going to keep it clean so that beautiful paint job always looks good, or let the green stuff grow au-naturale?

Good question Sicklid. I really dont know because is the first time I do something like this. I don't know how hard is going to be to remove the algae. But I don't expect algae to grow on the background because the tank is not exposed to the sun. I have another fish tank, a 30gls one that was on the same place as the 55gls tank I want to set up, and it never got algae. Don't know if it is due to the climate here, really dont know. (I live in Puerto Rico)

wow! that's a wonderful background you got there. don't let it go to waste!!!!! at least give it to me :)

Triazole, if you come here to pick it up it's yours. :p

I give it a try last night just to check how it looked underware and that thing began to float. It was so trong the force it did to maintain it's flotability that it almost cracks my fish tank. I think I won't install it after all. I don't know of nothing to maintain it underwater.

thanks for the offer!
did you silicone it nicely before testing it underwater. IME the silicone holds it nicely, even though the first time it might look as if its going to come out.
as to maintenance, there's actually nothing much to do. umm, correction, nothing to do at all.

also, i've been thinking about a compromise. if you don't feel that it'd be safe to mount it on the inner wall of the tank, you might try putting it outside the tank, and taping it like a regular background. so you can see through the glass into the background. with good lighting, i'm sure it can be done. that way, you can have your cake, and eat it too. and that'll allow you to keep discus as well. let me see if i can dig up a similar setup for you.

That is a pretty good idea. I never thought of that one... Also, I have heard of guys siliconing it to panels of plexiglass or acrylic, then placing the background in the tank held in place by real rocks. Or maybe run a light bead of silicone around the outside edge. 50 year GE silicone is VERY strong.

Sicklid your idea of the plexiglass is very good. I never though about it. Now I feel more confident about installing the background. That's the best idea I ever heard.

You just made my day.

I am glad, I hope it works! I would think about the thickness of the plexi. That may be the factor in "will it float, or will it sink". I know 1/2 in acrylic is definately heavy enough. It is expensive tho. You can check around at local sign companies. They may have drop cuts that they will sell or possibly give you.

Regarding your wonderful idea, I was thinking about how to maintain it underwater. The plexi works for not to damage the back of the aquarium and may be it could do little help about floatability but I don't think it may be heavy enough. I was thinking about using some kind of hook to hang it from the back and and put some rocks in front to keep it in place. What do you think about it?

I don't know if you've ever tried this but you would surprise yourself with the force the background does to float.

I have decided not install the background on my current 55gls tank and prepare it for discus. Then get a 75gls tank ,do the plexi thing with the hooks and the rocks and Voila. I would transfer my current fishes from my 30gls tank to their new rocky place. I've been told 75 and 55 tanks have almost the same dimensions except for it's depth.

i'm still pretty sure that if you do want the background inside the tank, just siliconing it would be enough. in case you don't do so, there's always a chance the plexi-n-background combo dislodging the rocks put in front, and hitting the front glass of the aquarium with enough force to crack it, or atleast scaring the heck out of the fish. IMO, anything else other than silicone - be it plexi, or magnetic strips attached to the back, is a bit risky.

Anyway I won't install the background on my current 55gls. I'll store the background just in case I get a new tank in which I could experiment.

Back
Top Bottom