Do i need an air pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually you don't, if you want one then go get one. It wont hurt anything. Biggest thing is to watch the fish and make sure they aren't gasping for air. If they look like they're doing fine I wouldn't worry about it.

The air in the bubbles doesn't get put in the water till it pops at the top of the water. By my understanding most of that air gets released into the outside of the tank. This is what happens the bubbles go to the top and pop which makes a good amount of water movement that releases gases out of the tank for gas exchange. At the same time it would put air into the tank. This can all be done with just a filter, IMO air stones are only there for looks.

Last edited:
The air stone will help get oxygen in the tank, it creates good surface reaction as well as moves some water when the bubbles are on the way up. But if you have a filter it is not needed

Oxygen in the air provided by bubbles dissolves slowly in the water, but the main use of bubblers is to get rid of CO2 by agitation.

Back
Top Bottom