Guppies keep dying but shrimps are fine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tranquil62

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've lost 12 guppies recently, water is 0 nitrite and ammonia and 10 nitrates. No obvious signs of illness, treated tank with esha 2000 regardless. The shrimps are absolutely fine though, they're molting and I'm sure a couple have eggs. I have ef150 filter and an air pump.

Did they all die at the same time or one at a time over a period of time?

With no symptoms its difficult to make any type of diagnosis. How long have you had the guppies? Maybe just old age if youve had the fish a year or more. Maybe you just got a batch of unhealthy fish.

I presume from your use of Esha2000 you are from a country that restricts a lot of fish medication to vets prescription only. Esha2000 isnt going to treat anything more than minor issues that would probably sort themselves anyway with clean water. I wouldnt medicate the tank unless you know what the issue is.

Did they all die at the same time or one at a time over a period of time?

With no symptoms its difficult to make any type of diagnosis. How long have you had the guppies? Maybe just old age if youve had the fish a year or more. Maybe you just got a batch of unhealthy fish.

I presume from your use of Esha2000 you are from a country that restricts a lot of fish medication to vets prescription only. Esha2000 isnt going to treat anything more than minor issues that would probably sort themselves anyway with clean water. I wouldnt medicate the tank unless you know what the issue is.
They died one by one over a couple of weeks. I've only had them three weeks. The tank was fully cycled when I put them in and I've checked the water every day. I do think maybe they're a bad batch of fish because surely the shrimps would've been affected too?

Something like poor water quality or if something got into the water would have effected the shrimp too, possibly more so.

Where they eating OK?

Did you get them from a reliable source? A lot of fish are imported from asian fish farms and come with infections.

They were eating okay yes and I think it's a reliable source, it had good reviews but looking back there was a couple of dead fish in the tanks as I was looking round the shop so I'm not sure. I'm really new to all this so I'm not really sure of much

Something like poor water quality or if something got into the water would have effected the shrimp too, possibly more so.

Where they eating OK?

Did you get them from a reliable source? A lot of fish are imported from asian fish farms and come with infections.
If it is an illness or parasite or something is there a chance it'll be in the tank still? Like if I were to get new fish how do I know whatever killed the guppies isn't still lurking?

If it is an illness or parasite or something is there a chance it'll be in the tank still? Like if I were to get new fish how do I know whatever killed the guppies isn't still lurking?
At this point you won't know which is why what is best to do is quarantine any new fish for at least 60-90 days so that any disease they may carry should have shown itself in that timeframe. If after that quarantine period these new fish catch something once they are in your main tank, that would mean whatever they have is still active in your main tank. From there, you would have to decide whether to sanitize the tank and restart it or medicate your main tank with something that may hurt your shrimp so you would need to make accommodations for the shrimp in another tank while you are treating the main tank. The other option is to keep the tank as is for the shrimps and not add any fish to it.
Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom