do u support man made artificial cichlid or hybrids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True. This LFS r Just for making their own profit. Sometimes I become surprized to see how they kept fishes there. Lil tank full of several kind of fishes. Here in India u can even see shops on the pavement under the sun.fishes r suffers a lot. Sometimes in pet co. I've seen selling procedures. they never give any info until or unless u ask, and stil u can't be sure that the given info is just ok for ur buddies.I'm very much thankful to this forum and all of it's lovely and helpful members and obviously of google.

Hi, getting back to your hybrid discussion, I thought I would chip in.
Personally I don't agree with it on a man made level, in order to make a profit!!!! I breed various cichlids and believe hybrids take away from true strains . I won't even buy a fish I believe to be a weak strain, and bread from too closly related parents .
However I do have a mixed cichlid display tank and of course they try to cross breed, most of the time the fry don't survive but I would NEVER sell any that did no matter how pretty they may look.
In this case I think it's ok to keep them if they survive tho. As its not done deliberately for money!!!

You take any creature that's been cross bread to get different features colours etc and you get major problem. For example even the pedigree dogs at crufts look nothing like they did 40 years ago, many breeds suffer with skin issues of eye issues or droopy mouths etc. it just becomes in humane IMO.
But each to their own and if your happy with hybrids then good for you. I appreciate that hybrids opens doors for some potentially wonderful looking fish, but is a big no no in my house.

Having said my price I would still be interested in seeing some pics .

When someone opens a thread on such a controversial issue we all know there are bound to be disagreements and some hobbyists always takes opinions to the next level and either angers or hurts someone elses feelings.
I for one think its great that we can all view each others beliefs and reach our own conclusions on any issue brought up in these forums. I think joining AA is one of the smarter moves I've made since being in this hobby of ours. Well i dont think "hobby" is the rite word to use. For some of us its closer to a passion borderline obsession. Lol

Tis certainly a controversial subject. One with strong views from both sides. All you can do is agree to disagree as I don't think even tho we can see and appreciate both sides of the argument neither side will agree on views. The main thing is we all share the same passion in the hobby of fish keeping. Because lets face it there are those out there that would simply say keeping fish in aquariums is cruel and in humane and they should be kept wild like all other animals/creatures . So f@cl it !!!!! Lol

I did enjoy reading the article in the link tho, so thanks for that . Ps all hybrids are an abomination! Lol

No matter how different is our opinions no matter u keep this species or not bt one thing is for sure,somewhere in ur heart there is the right instict.coz u know, support this hybrids definately makes u a fish keepers bt not a fish lover.

How u r going with ur straberry peacock? Wats the life span of them? I've heared bout straberry & blueberry oscars too. they looks kool bt very unhealthy kind of cichlids and for random experiment and injecting there life span become very smaller than the regular or nomal oscars

You really can't compare to natural beauty. the way nature intended.

They are still babies. In about another 6 months I'm hoping to have my holding female.

The most I have been able to learn about their lifespan is anywhere from 4-10 years.

Last edited:
Personally - when it comes to what I keep they have to be pure, and don't waiver on this. Now if a person chooses that a Flowerhorn or BP is for them well that's their choice and if they give it the same passion as the purest do, good on them.

Dyed - tattooed huge issues with that - some of these fish are already at a disadvantage so make life that much worse on them - so not cool!!

There's kind of a grey area when it comes to hybridization. I personally don't like the man-made hybrids, especially the ones that have spinal deformities (this includes balloon fish even though they aren't hybrids), and I don't even like glo-fish because it seems like it's opening a door that we really shouldn't go down.

One thing to remember with hybrids, there are plenty of natural hybrids. It happens a lot in different fish systems. The native fish system in the US for example, there are many different sunfish hybrids, green sunfish x bluegill and many others. They happen naturally. This happens all over the world with closely related species that share a water system.

Even the fish and wildlife here (and likely many other states) stocks various hybrid fish here primarily (i believe) for sport fishing.

So overall I take more issue with the 'frankenfish' type hybrids much more than the kind that basically happen on their own.

Someone's personal preference to the fish they like, hybrid or not, doesn't make them any more of a fish keeper / fish lover.

U r right. Just said that in emotion buddy. Every one has his/her choice individually. untill hybrid happen naturally it's fine bt I think this is very rare case to happen in nature. Bt just cnt deny the fact. But wen it comes to man made way I dnt appreciate it. I think it's injustice to those species.

Personally, I love looking into hybrids. I think it's so fascinating to see the crossing of two species and what it may create. To me, it's almost like seeing evolution take place. But, I am a chem major and it doesn't take much when it comes to scientific things to fascinate me. haha

I have personally owned a flowerhorn and I currently own a betta splendens with some wild type hybrid. Both of them I love/loved dearly. I have gotten some backlash, of course. But, I see it as, if a fish has the potential to be happy and healthy, then a hybrid is nothing different from any other fish. I would love to own more hybrids in the future, any fish, amphibian, or reptile.

I do not agree with keeping hybrids who do not live properly. Like, having any sort of health issues or deformities that impact its daily life. I think that if a hybrid-crossing issues continuously comes up and it is negatively affecting the animals life, then the crossing should be terminated.

I also love the GloFish. I would never own one, since they are ugly to me, but the idea behind them is just amazing. But, man has been meddling with animals since the beginning. Look at dogs! A maltese obviously isn't natural and neither is a great dane. Bettas and goldfish are also common animals that are not natural. Even looking at reptiles, leopard gecko morphs are not natural. The amount of selective breeding to acquire bandits and RAPTORs and all of that, it's not natural. But, it's beautiful to me and it's a form of science that you can bring into your home and love for years and years. I can't love on a barium chloride solution and I can't play with an NMR machine. So, it's nice to have my animals around. They are more than just experiments to me.

It's just up to you on what you deem a good pet. Whether or not you like hybrids or anything man has altered, it's up to the individual. I don't agree with slamming others for owning an animal that is not natural. I have heard some incredibly nasty things from people online and in fish shops for owning a flowerhorn.

Back
Top Bottom