Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been doing some research on other forums of what people think on these guys today because my friend got one when we were out buying stuff for my tanks. From what I have learned, they basically aren't as great as they seem. Most of them refuse to eat when they are smaller and are very skiddish and have very little personality. Is this why the store was selling them for fifteen bucks? That's what was kind of bugging me. I never see them under forty! It was about two inches, which is the same size that I see them for the forty.

I really hope she has luck with this one. She recently lost her angel that she has had for three years.

So, any personal advice that is maybe positive? If not, negative is alright.

I have a few friends that have tried to keep them without alot of success. They don't seem to have a long span but they always comment if it lives past 3-4 inches they are usually home free in terms of health. They both have some georgeos fish over 6-7 inches but went through quite a few to get there. There seems to be some very weak strains of fish out there.

Good luck.

Thank you. I did further researching and got that same bit of info, just wasn't sure if it were true. So far, the little guy is eating, but is pretty shy. It's expected though, or at least I think so, he is in a new place.

From what I have heard about the Electric Jack Dempseys is that they are somewhat prone to parasites which may be part of the reason of their lack of wanting to eat.

With new additions to any tank they must acclimatize themselves to their new surroundings?

Any other fish in the aquarium, do you have a quarantine tank?

I have to completely disagree here, I bought a juvi electric blue jack and that thing was like having a blood parrot. It would come right up when it was time to eat and was all over the place. It ended up dying because i had it with a breeding pair of kribs and they had fry without me seeing and they terrorized it. I will get another one sometime.

When I got my electric blue, he was about 3/4". That was about 4 months ago. He is now about 2 1/2" and is doing fine. I have never had feeding problems with him. On the other hand, a friend of mine got one just recently, and he only lasted two weeks. IMO, its the luck of the draw. They seem to be more sensitive to thier environment than regular JD's. BUt once they reach 4 inches or more, they are well worth the effort.

Thanks for the replies. He lasted about two weeks, but she had problems with him eating. He passed away, sadly. I have kind of guessed that they are "luck of the draw", as Shawn said. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

I've had two EBJD. I never had a problem out of their personalities. Once they both got to around 2"-2.5" they passed on. I had them both at different times. I spent $25 each for mine. Petsmart here in my town has them around 1" for $10..sad for the people that buy them.

Thanks for the replies. He lasted about two weeks, but she had problems with him eating. He passed away, sadly. I have kind of guessed that they are "luck of the draw", as Shawn said. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

One thing I do with my EBJD is vary his diet. Flakes, sticks, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and a beefheart blend my nieghbor makes for his discus. That may be one of the reasons I do not have feeding problems.

I've had two EBJD. I never had a problem out of their personalities. Once they both got to around 2"-2.5" they passed on. I had them both at different times. I spent $25 each for mine. Petsmart here in my town has them around 1" for $10..sad for the people that buy them.

I have seen very small ones, under an inch, being sold at a chain petstore. They were so adorable and were all bought within a few days. I hope those people do some research!

And good suggestion about varying their diets. Always helps with any fish. I use all kinds of different foods with my own fish. Not sure of she does vary or not.

Back
Top Bottom