feeding GBRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I've just realized...until now my tanks have had fish that come to the top or fish that eat wafers etc. My new GBRs seem to be neither. Any suggestions for something that's slowly sinking so they'll have more of a chance? I'm currently just feeding a bit extra so that some "escapes" the danios hungry maws. :roll: (Not a great long term plan...)

I feed mine NLS community pellets and Bio-gold cichlid food. They both have some floaters and some sink. The rams seem to enjoy poking around the substrate looking for it.

I use NLS Cichlid Formula 1 mm pellets. They seem to float for awhile and then they eventually sink. My GBR's will go to the surface and get them though. When they are hungry they let me know by grouping up in their normal spot about 3/4 the way up the tank on the right hand side. They love to make smacking noises on the surface of the water and get the floating pellets.

Yep, the rams I've always had eventually learn to hit the surface at feeding time with the rest of the tank.

New Life Spectrum Cichlid formula is an excellent sinking food that your rams should love. They would probably go ape for some frozen brine shrimp as well.

Thanks all. I've got a good shopping list now. :D They are quite new...so if they survive (GBR sudden death syndrome... :? ) hopefully they'll figure out there's a top area to the tank.

I feed mine omega flake. What I do is I'll take a pinch of food and actually place it in the water so it sinks. And it sinks slowly. My tetras and rams have a chance to eat it and whatever gets to the bottom my cories and rams pick at.

Whichever method you choose your fish should figure it out in time.

Back
Top Bottom