Filter for my african cichlid tank.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotcha, thanks. So theres really no "right" order so I don't need to stress about what goes in first? Perfect!

I once cleaned my Fluval 305 and put the baskets back in there, 3 months later when I went to rinse everything out again I noticed I put everything in reverse (I usually have carbon in the bottom 2, ammo chips in the middle, and the ceramic bio-rings on top) Nothing had changed for those 3 months that I didnt know it was like that.

Malawi Freak said:
I once cleaned my Fluval 305 and put the baskets back in there, 3 months later when I went to rinse everything out again I noticed I put everything in reverse (I usually have carbon in the bottom 2, ammo chips in the middle, and the ceramic bio-rings on top) Nothing had changed for those 3 months that I didnt know it was like that.

I wouldn't put your bio rings stars or whatever first IMO. being as the larger particles will clog up your rings negating the useful effect. It doesn't matter being as you can run your tank without amonia ring, carbon ect, but to get the full use of whatever bio media you have it'll definatly be put to better use if it was mechanically filter first. A bio ring completely covered in algae and fish poop won't get the circulation required.

Have you ever seen inside a fluval canister filter. If something large is getting past those sponges you've got a problem.

Malawi Freak said:
Have you ever seen inside a fluval canister filter. If something large is getting past those sponges you've got a problem.

No I have not seen the inside of one. Just sayin mechanical filteration first.

Back
Top Bottom