First Cichlid Tank, need serious help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamami8326

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a 20 gallon long tank set up with these mbunas- 3 yellow labs about an inch and a half long, and 1 cobalt blue zebra just over 2 inches. I had lots of aggresion problems with my cobalt blue, always keeping the other cichlids hiding. When I added two plecos about 2 1/2 inches, my cobalt blue went nuts picking and beating at the plecos. After two days I thought everything had calmed down, but I woke up the next morning to find one of my plecos dead inside my cobalt blues cave. I re arranged everything, hoping they would find new territories, but this just made everything worse. The cobalt blue chased every other fish ALL the time. I had to get rid of it, he/she went back to the store for resale. I have had WAYY more than enough with aggression problems.

So here is my question. Should I keep just the three yellow labs and pleco by themselves? (I would upgrade to 40 gal long, 48x12x12) Or, should I start completely over and take the three yellow labs back to the store for resale? (Considering this one a lot more cause of all the problems I've had) I would love to hear any ideas on peaceful stocking options. With or without the yellow labs. Tank size is not an issue.

PS. If the tank size is all wrong let me know, but any fish I get will be very small and will always be upgraded when necessary. I'm very experienced with water quality and maintenance, and keeping my fish healthy in that department. Just not cichlid stocking and behaviors :(

Last edited:
Okay, it is just over 24 inches long, by 12 inches deep, by 13 inches wide. The fish were much smaller when I bought them and the guy at the store said they would be fine in a 20 long until they got bigger. Yeah I know, never listen to the people at the pet store :(

I've also heard of people keeping yellow labs (full grown even) in a ten gallon tank, which is why I thought I'd ask you guys. And it just seems to me like 3 inch and half fish in a 55 gallon with only a 2 inch pleco is a bit much? Sorry for my naive-ty. And sorry for lack of a better word lol.

These fish are active. I have seen people keep common plecos in 10g tanks, but that doesn't make it right. You're going to find that advice from other hobbyists is far better than that of someone who is going to make money by telling you what you want to hear.

I would only recommend a few mbuna for a 3' tank, and yellow labs are right there on the border... so if you upgraded to a 40 breeder, you coudl keep a few fish, but a 4' tank would open up a lot more possibilities.

Even if they are smaller they still require a large tank because their aggression and territorial nature is not lessened do to their size. No matter the size of the fish the tank should be the size they need when they are adults. Unless you are able to upgrade as soon as they need a larger tank.

I know that advice from you is better than anything anyone will tell me in a store no matter how knowledgable they seem. I tried to make it clear that they would upgrade when they got bigger, I just thought that the space required (sort of) went along with size. Aka the bigger they get the bigger the tank they will need. Obviously though, I was wrong. I am keeping the pleco no matter what, so obviously I will be getting a larger tank.
Just because I mentioned that I had heard of people keeping yellow labs in a ten gallon doesn't mean I would ever do that to my fish. My bettas aren't in anything less than five gallons, with the exception of one 3.

Even though the 3 yellow labs are loving the tank without the cobalt blue I will take your advice and upgrade sooner. I was planning on upgrading by april at the latest anyways. And I will obviously not be stocking any more fish. I wouldn't want to risk the happiness I see in the tank now by adding anything else.
Just wondering though, what are all those sites talking about when they say it is ok, sometimes best, to keep up to 12 mbunas in a 55 gallon? That just seems ridiculous i.m.o. Considering all the problems I've had and what you guys have told me so far.

Sometimes over stocking in a cichlid tank can be for the better. It spreads out all the aggression. I think the problem with the fish you have is that labs and zebras are kinda on the opposite ends of the aggressive scale. My red zebra is dominate over every fish in my tank and I've never seen an aggressive yellow lab (not saying that be aggressive though). I also wouldn't see a problem for you to keep your labs in the tank u have at the size that they are. You said you planned on upgrading tanks in April. That would probably b about the time they would start to get a little big for a 20 gallon so that would be about perfect

Yeah, I realized that after I got them and did more research. I had to identify them myself and I'm still not sure wether my cobalt blue was a cobalt blue. I had the four of them in the tank for three months so I figured april would be the latest I would want to upgrade considering their growth rate. I now see that my little yellow labs are much happier by themselves though. The behavior change is ridiculous. I will never add anything else besides the pleco that survived the attack from my cobalt blue. Who seems to get along really well with my yellow labs.

When you upgrade to a 4' tank you can add other fish. Just because you had one super aggressive fish in tight quarters doesn't mean you can't add another type. Just be sure to ask here about good options with land that won't be too aggressive. My suggestion would be yellow tail acei. I have them with my yellow labs and they are great together. Another cool thing with acei is that they swim mostly at the top of the tank so it uses that space that is often only occupied during feedings!

Okay, thank you for the suggestion :) I was just starting to lose hope in finding peaceful cichlids. I started out with blue paradise fish in that tank, only 4, and had the same problems. I ended up taking my last one back for resale because of it. I would love to have some fish that are more likely to be out and about at the top. Even now without my cobalt blue the yellow labs are swimming all over the place together. How many acei would you recommend for a 55 gal with my 3 yellow labs and pleco?

Others are more experienced and will give better advice. I have a 90 gallon tank so I'm going to throw a # at you but please listen to those with more experience. If I had to say I thin 3 or 4 would be fine in a 55 with your others.

i have a red zebra and yellow lab and my zebra is actually less aggressive than my yellow lab. most forums that i read say that yellow labs are not super aggressive. thats just what i heard.

My yellow labs are the most chill little guys I have lol. Its putting new fish in that would be aggressive towards my little labs that I'm worried about. My little guys, (Dolce and Gabanna, I'm pretty sure they are females.. Not as bright yellow and they aren't growing as fast. And Paco Rabanne, the largest one, I think is a male.) swim around in a little school doing figure eights and all sorts of acrobatics. I'm starting to like them more and more ever since the cobalt blue was removed.

i would say a 90G is min for cichlids to keep them happy i would look at a 120G up i have a 120 myself with 13 lake malawis mixed and 2 plecos and it runs fine , i will add my lab is a more aggressive than the others

good luck 8362

cichlidpaul said:
i would say a 90G is min for cichlids to keep them happy i would look at a 120G up i have a 120 myself with 13 lake malawis mixed and 2 plecos and it runs fine , i will add my lab is a more aggressive than the others

good luck 8362

Your tank is under stocked.

Back
Top Bottom