Flagstone rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Topsella20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just went to store no slate rock but they had flagstone rock wich they said is ok but wanted to doublecheck .is it ok for freshwater?will not change anything in water?

I went to Home Depot (local hardware store) and went to the landscaping section. I found a slate rock in there that I broke up with a hammer and an extra larger chisel. I then did the vinegar test by placing a piece of the rock into the vinegar. Then I cleaned the rock.

I cleaned the rock by pouring boiling water over it, over and over again. The rock was then cleaned and I placed it into my tank and made an aquascape creation. It was all around 10 bucks!!!

I found that the rock raised my Ph about .5 but it was good because I had a low Ph. But all rock is different.

Topsella20 said:
Just went to store no slate rock but they had flagstone rock wich they said is ok but wanted to doublecheck .is it ok for freshwater?will not change anything in water?

It won't change any chemistry enough to harm fish. I have quite a bit of it in my cichlid tank and all my fish stayed healthy. Just always test with vinegar to be on the safe side. Rather waste a dollar on vinegar than 500 on live stock.

Back
Top Bottom