flowerhorn ??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamingdragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
high there this fish i have picked up at my lfs as a jack dempsey well i have jack dempsey and i know for sure its not a jd. i came across a flowerhorn what do you guys think

flowerhorn

sorry did not want to load pic

Attachments

• DSCN0960.JPG
    DSCN0960.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 121
I don't think its a flower horn. There is no spot up on the head. could it be a JD x managuense hybrid. IT has the spangles of a JD but the spotting down the side is like a managuense cichlid.

Body shape and red along the dorsal says JD. It might just be a really nice colored JD. Its a really cool looking juvie regardless.

I am no expert on carpintis but I thought they have like 2 or 3 black spots not spots all they way down the sides. Plus body shape is different not as deep as the carpintis.

I am no expert on carpintis but I thought they have like 2 or 3 black spots not spots all they way down the sides. Plus body shape is different not as deep as the carpintis.

Hmmm yea I think your right. I was I'm on my phone so not a good view of the picture. May be a carpintis x fh.

I wouldn't a flower horn, because they have the big buldge at the top of there head.
I would suggest it's a carpintis. :fish2:

I wouldn't a flower horn, because they have the big buldge at the top of there head.
I would suggest it's a carpintis. :fish2:

Flower horns only get the bulge as adults. But also doesn't have the markings of a flower horn juvies.

Curious what makes you think carpintis. I don't think it is but wonder what you guys see?

Hmmm yea I think your right. I was I'm on my phone so not a good view of the picture. May be a carpintis x fh.

Mike just looked at the pic of your salvini again. It dawned on me this one might be a JD x Salvini cross? Salvinis have the exact same black ban down the side.

The black ban is the only thing throwing me off from saying full blown JD. what do you think?

re

well i have looked into it. on the crossbreed side but it just doesn,t come even close, if i look up flower horn juviniles. the only thing what i miss is the dot on the head. the deep black line throws me of. what is similar to a salvini cichlid. and the family of the wolf /doovii cichlid. and i mean the deep black line.
other his behavior gives me away that i see a flower horn. of course i wish he or her is a flower horn. it is sold to me as a jack dempsey good price for a fish like this and its amazing color. just stunning well when it get to maturity we will see what it become sorry for the pic it did not load for som reason thanks for the respond.:lol::lol::facepalm:

well i have looked into it. on the crossbreed side but it just doesn,t come even close, if i look up flower horn juviniles. the only thing what i miss is the dot on the head. the deep black line throws me of. what is similar to a salvini cichlid. and the family of the wolf /doovii cichlid. and i mean the deep black line.
other his behavior gives me away that i see a flower horn. of course i wish he or her is a flower horn. it is sold to me as a jack dempsey good price for a fish like this and its amazing color. just stunning well when it get to maturity we will see what it become sorry for the pic it did not load for som reason thanks for the respond.:lol::lol::facepalm:

Body shape, fins, even color is JD the only thing that isn't JD is the black line. It doesn't have the shape, fins, or black spot on the head of a flower horn. I am 99.9999% sure it is not a flower horn also no red eyes. Every flower horn I have seen has red eyes.

But I have been wrong before I guess give it a few months and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom