Flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan aka Ryan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anybody know much about these? Tank size, growth rate, max size, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Growth rate and max size are going to be extremely variable as they are a hybrid whose parent species is shrouded in a bit of mystery. Because of this, those factors can vary quite a bit. I personally think there are so many nicer species in the genus Amphilophus (flowerhorns definitely have roots in this genus, like Amphilophus trimaculatus). I can't stand flowerhorns personally, but that's just me

Max Size is 10-12". Tank size many keep them in 55 but I would say 75 gallon is better. 55 is a little small. They are extremely aggressive and are usually kept as a single fish in a tank as a "wet pet". If you attempt other fish (not advised) you will need at least a 125.

on a side note the beautifully colored ones you see on google image and you tube people pay hundreds and sometimes thousands for. Don't expect your local petsmart flower horn to color up like those. sometimes people do luck out but just saying dont expect it.

So why are you against them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Many people don't like flowerhorns as they are a completely man made species just like the blood parrots. Also seeing as you don't know what the original mix of fish they are created from was you have no idea how aggressive they are going to be or how well they will get on with other fish.
Personally I believe that they are very beautiful fish. I have seen quite a few very large full grown males with amazing colours and beautiful long streamers

Flowerhorns rock!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400824936.582747.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400824936.582747.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 100
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400825013.955203.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400825013.955203.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom