Flowerhorn breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone had any luck breeding flowerhorns? I just picked up a male red dragon about 9" and a female King kamfa about 7". They don't seem to get along so I put a divider in the tank. Has anybody bred them this way successfully?

image-1245494412.jpg

image-3478309112.jpg

image-3695769831.jpg

Thanks! I hope so 2.. There's a web site called aquabid, you can find flowerhorns pretty cheap from many different blood lines. Some real nice stuff.

Malawi Freak said:
I believe they usually need to grow up together in order to breed successfully

Thats the only way I have ever been able to breed the highly aggressive species. Back when I kept jags, my male killed my female after a year of successful breeding. I have also had jd's where the male beat on the female so bad while wanting to breed that I have had to split them.

image-4113494383.jpg

They have been together for a full day now no divider and no fighting. They are acting a little strange shaking tails and rubbing against eachother. The male has also cleared a 5-6" circle in the gravel.. This pic shows the anal gland of female, much larger than it was. Are these signs of mateing?? I hope so.. Not sure??

Attachments

• image-1825220261.jpg
    image-1825220261.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 97
She dropped eggs! Only about 30 or so visible, on a slate rock... Seems like she stopped, she hasn't dropped any in hours. Is this normal? Will she drop more eggs?

Yay for you! Your fish are absolutely gorgeous. I've never bred FHs, but I did own a blue titanium for a few months. He was a lot of fun. Good lcuk with your babies <3

Thanks! Unfortunatly she ate the eggs.. No big deal, I've done some research and this behavior is common with first timers..lol.. The important thing is that they get along(so far) and they made the attempt. They should try again in a few weeks. See what happens!

Back
Top Bottom