for discus owners: water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in the planning/research stages of my discus tank, and I've gotten mixed info on water changes. I know they're extremely important for discus. I've read anywhere from 10% weekly to 100% daily. For those who keep discus, what's your PWC schedule? Should it be different for juvies and adults?

It definitely depends on their age and size. Growouts require nearly pristine water and frequent feeding to avoid issues with stunting, peppering, etc. which is why most folks raising them do so in bare bottomed tanks with large daily water changes.

Check this out for some good info. SimplyDiscus.com: Keeping Discus for Beginners by Ardan Huck

I have 11 discus in a 125g planted tank. Mostly adults with a few subadults.

I used to do 50% water changes weekly, but have recently upped it to 50% twice a week as I'm quite overstocked (tank also has a school of 100 cardinal tetras, some clown loaches, 3 rams, and a school of cories).

Seems to work well for me as it appears that I have two pair bonds forming on opposite sides of the aquarium.

From what I've read, large daily water changes in Barebottom tanks is mostly employed for juvenile growouts, as it allows for frequent feedings and ease of leftovers cleanup, with the goal of maximizing growth rate in the least amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom