GBR Acting and starting to look like the opposite sex...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyrmir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've noticed that one of my GBR's is starting to look like a male, and chase the other female around like my males did. Now I know for a fact that both of them are female. I've watched them both lay eggs, aside from the obvious differences in finnage and the pink belly.

However, one of them has started growing a larger spike, and her pink belly is all but gone now. She's also started following the other female around the tank constantly, doing thier whole dance and jab thing that the males used to do. I think she's even starting to get bigger.

Is it possible for rams to change sex? I didn't think it was, but if not, I've got one really confused ram on my hands.

I looked around, and could not find any refrences to this happening to other people.

It wouldn't surprise me, there are several amphibian and fish species that can change sex depending on conditions.

I don't think they do change sex. I have seen my female's color change drastically in a matter of minutes. Its probably just a dominance thing. She is changing her colors to show the other girls who is boss. Also the whole longer spike thing, my female's third spike is quite a bit longer than the rest.

I've heard one person mention this. One of the very knowledgable people at my LFS. (there are 3 that I trust the information from there).

He's also mentioned that in a single sex enviroment some may "bend the other way" if you know what I mean (no easy way to put that on a PG forum).. This is typically done by females.

I've not heard of them changing sex, but I wouldn't disregard the possibility..

its funny this came up, for weeks I was certain I had a pair, one blue and one very pink, now both are very pink, very odd.
glad Im not the only one

Back
Top Bottom