GBR pair tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Everyone,

Right now I have 5 GBR's(3 f, 2 m) in my 20g tank(other inhabitants are 4 striata loaches and 3 rummynose tetras). Here begins the questions. I just got my 10g tank cycled and want to move either a pair of GBR's or a male and 2 females into the 10g. Which would you suggest?

Now...next question. I want the GBR's I move in to spawn, and, at this point in time, try to raise the fry in the tank. However, I think it'd be nice to give them a few tankmates. I thought about Cories, but cories hang out on the bottom where the eggs and fry would be. Rummynoses are real hard to keep, and since I'll most likely be away from the tank every weekend(college dorm), I don't know if I'd have much luck with them. What do you guys suggest that would play nice and not eat eggs/fry.

Also, should i move the beta(m) out of the 10g when I move the GBR's in?

I would move the Betta. They can be rather curious, and if you plan on breeding the rams they probably wouldn't appreciate the Betta poking around. Pygmy Corys and Ottos would wourk well as tankmates in such a small tank.

If you are planning on breeding the GBR's you want no tankmates. Stressed GBR's will eat the eggs and ANY tankmates may stress a spawning pair so why chance it. I would only move a single pair into the 10 as the other female will be constantly harassed if the pair does decide to spawn. A 10 is too small for 3 GBR's anyway. Move anything out of the 10 that you don't want to spawn.

I'd move a pair to the 10g tank. They're one of the few dwarfs that do form pairs, so an odd female may not be tolerated too well.

Tankmates really depend on how your pair behaves. You can have the problems bs6749 mentioned (I have). However, I've also used tankmates to stimulate the parental protection urges with lazy cichlid parents. If they sense their eggs/fry are in danger, they're more inclined to tend to them. I'd wait and see how things work out with your pair and then act accordingly.

Alright guys. My tank seems to be ready to move the pair in. Right now the betta is in there with 2 ottos. I can't get the tank away from the light from the window so algae is a little bit of a problem but the ottos handle it nicely. I'm actually going to pick up 1 or 2 more since they like to be in groups.

I have a sand substrate, and the tank is unplanted. However, there seems to be a lot of detitritus on the sand that the filter(Aquaclear 30) isn't able to clean up. I was thinking of getting some(3) cories and putting in the tank. Will this stress the pair out and cause them to not spawn or eat the eggs? Will I just have to vac the tank more often?

If it were me, I would use a small (SMALL!) school of tetras, like cardinals or pristellas. The rams do feel more secure when dithers are present.

Sicklid said:
If it were me, I would use a small (SMALL!) school of tetras, like cardinals or pristellas. The rams do feel more secure when dithers are present.

I'm looking for something that would keep the bottom cleaner for better water conditions. But you think a small(3-5) school of tetras would help induce a spawn? Would that make the tank too small if I ever get any fry though?

Back
Top Bottom