german blue ram. will they go with guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i know that there is a very large thread concerning this but i was just wondering if guppis and GBR will mix? i have a 10 gallon guppy tank with a bunce of small guppies about 2 weeks to 3 months old. i have a 20 gallon with 2 german blues but they are both male and the one is far more dominant than the other and the less dominant is not happy. this wont be permanant but only till i can get him back to the fish store and trade him for a female. i realize that a 10 gal isnt that big but he wont have any competiton so it might be better. thanks in advanced

depends on how aggressive the guppies are. Guppies are fin nippers so in that small of space it may not be good for the GBR. Why not divide the current tank he is in until you can come up with better living conditions?

unfortunatly i have nothing to divide the tank with or i would do that. i think i will give it a shot and see how things are going if it does not look good i will put him back in my 20. thanks for the advice.

I've made a quick search for fin nippers and guppies. They are victims of fin nippers but don't nip themselves.

@rubysoho: You got to have some strange guppies :wink: .

the only fins that guppies nip are the males nipping at the females now and again when they want attention.

I've seen guppies nip at fins of other fish. Like I said, it *could* be a problem in such a small tank. I never said it would definatly happen. A divider costs $5, you won't have to worry about keeping up with water quality like you would with the 10 gallon. But it is up to you. I'm sure you'd move the ram again if you saw a problem develope with the 10 gallon.

I have 5 guppies in with my rams, but they are in a 55. If your less aggressive male is stressed a bunch being in with the other one, I would try him in with the guppies. They will probably ignore each other. That is unless the guppies are small enough to look like snacks :D

sorry rubysoho i didnt mean to make it sound like u were wrong. i understand what u mean by the crowding and they may become agressice toward each other.and u are right if i see a problem forming in the 10 gal i will put him back in the 20 and hope for the best.

no, it's cool. trust me, I'm not always right, I was just trying to give a potential problem. Actually, I am setting up my 55 gallon with guppies and GBRs (intended as a breeding tank for GBRs) so I'm curious to see how things go in your ten gallon. :D The guppies are there to provide a controlled live food source since so many parasites and bacteria can be added to the tank from other live food sources. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom