Good sites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellissacolleen

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm looking to do some reading up on my cichlids and would like some good sites ? :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Books are much better. If you look closely at most websites they cut and paste large sections for a variety of different fish and just change a few little details individually. That's why coming on here and asking people for personal experience is a good idea. Good books are also a good idea though, they tend to give more accurate detail.

'An owners guide to a happy healthy fish - The Cichlid' Mary E Sweeney
Is a good book I have on iBooks £5.99

A pocket guide (over 500 species) which is by the same author plus others is a paper copy I have which covers all species really well, including a large cichlid section. Expensive though at about £20.00

Otherwise check out used cichlid books on Amazon and EBay, you should pick up something good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Books are much better. If you look closely at most websites they cut and paste large sections for a variety of different fish and just change a few little details individually. That's why coming on here and asking people for personal experience is a good idea. Good books are also a good idea though, they tend to give more accurate detail.

'An owners guide to a happy healthy fish - The Cichlid' Mary E Sweeney
Is a good book I have on iBooks £5.99

A pocket guide (over 500 species) which is by the same author plus others is a paper copy I have which covers all species really well, including a large cichlid section. Expensive though at about £20.00

Otherwise check out used cichlid books on Amazon and EBay, you should pick up something good.

Except that many books get outdated rather quickly due to the reclassifying of species and the discovery of new species and behaviors. Not all information online is copy-paste or false. You just have to learn how to use the internet properly for research by checking information across multiple sources.

Cichlid profiles are great, I believe they are a part of the cichlid forum. Just google "cichlid profiles" and you should find it. Not a ton of info on each species, but they generally have some quick facts that come in handy

Except that many books get outdated rather quickly due to the reclassifying of species and the discovery of new species and behaviors. Not all information online is copy-paste or false. You just have to learn how to use the internet properly for research by checking information across multiple sources.

Cichlid profiles are great, I believe they are a part of the cichlid forum. Just google "cichlid profiles" and you should find it. Not a ton of info on each species, but they generally have some quick facts that come in handy

Thanks for your now standard patronising reply, I'll stick to books and speaking to people as there seems to be much less bs that way.

Yeah I've had no luck with online you guys are right books and people are much better for information thank you for all the tittles of books provided I'm looking them up on amazon :)

Actually I do have a question I've been crushing up my pellets for my demasoni and now my other two fish won't eat whole pellets and they were before I put the demasoni in my tank. My demasoni is getting bigger and is able to start eating the whole pellets but none of my fish will now do I switch them to flakes or keep trying to get them to eat the whole pellets? I also herd floating pelletes are bad for my fish is this true?

Is crushing up the pellets bad for them in any way ? Or it it better then a whole pellet I think I'm going to switch to flakes

Is crushing up the pellets bad for them in any way ? Or it it better then a whole pellet I think I'm going to switch to flakes

I would not worry, as long as they're eating it's fine either way really.

I use NLS sinking pellets, Cichlid Formula. You won't have to worry about the flakes getting everywhere, or them swallowing pellets on the surface.

So I'm looking to do some reading up on my cichlids and would like some good sites ? :)

KGTropicals.com
AfricanCichlidHub.com

Both of these sites have YouTube channels accompanying them with an infinite supply of knowledge stashed away.

Cichlidadvice.com

Back
Top Bottom