Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critter1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi y'all I was just looking to get some tips on removing gravel and converting to sand. I have a 75 g with a 7-8" tiger oscar. But anyway he's the only one in the tank and is filtered by a AC 110. Please let me know if this is a good idea and how to go about it. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. This is tricky considering you already have gravel in. First off I would use pool filter sand, it looks great, I have it in my tanks. I would do it in segments. Maybe you could siphon the gravel up or remove it by hand. I would divide it into 5ish segments and do them every 3 days. Now if you have any decorations ths could be difficult so you can always do it all at one time but you may want to remove this fish. Sorry I couldn't help more.

I just did this for my 75. I used plastic cups and pitchers while siphoning out water. I then put in the supernatural sand. Here's a pictureImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397951511.062981.jpg

I used 60 lbs and I have a 2-4 inch sandbed. Hope this helps.

I recently did this, it was pretty straight forward, you just slowly take the gravel out, siphoning is a good way if you have that much suction, but if not give it a good clean and then just take it out. Sand is tricky, you want to make sure it is rinsed off really well and clean. There's many methods to getting it into the tank, just be careful not to clog any filters.

I filled up an empty two liter with sand. Put it in the tank right side up, until the empty space was filled with water, then flipped it upside down to let the sand pour out. This creates a gravity effect where the sand comes out, but all the dirt, gunk, and small particles stay in the two liter bottle. This makes the sand going into the tank superclean and clear. I tried finding a YouTube video on this method, no luck, but they are out there

This method does take some time.

That's great, I am going to change from gravel to sand, will definitely use that method...thanks!

Hahahahaha possible the craziest advise I have heard for cleaning sand: whack it in a bottle and put it in your tank, typical advise from some one from the north east of England hahaha

Back
Top Bottom