Help! 55 gallon Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jk76601

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just looking for some general suggestions with what to fill my tank with.

Right now I have the following:

2 Jewel cichilds (1 about 2 inches and 1 about 1 inch)
3 Tropheus Moorii (pretty new to the tank, about half inch each and look to be moliro and yellow banded moori)

Looking for colorful options and I'm in an area that doesn't have many shops. The local Petsmart is my best bet for purchasing.

Thanks.

Well, I'll start off by saying mixing cichlids from different regions will lead to problems. I would focus on one lake, and find fish that will mix well.

With a 55 you'll have an easier time with Africans,

Malawi, Victoria, or Tanginyikan

A 55 gallon is a great sized tank, the possibilities are endless.

An all tropheus tank would be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Jewels are African , but they are Nile and Congo river fish.

Yes, Jewel's are Africans. I was wondering if there is a good tankmates for Jewel and Tropheus' or if I should just overstock the rest of the tank with an assortment of different species of Tropheus'.

Thanks!

Jewels are hard to stock with, because there aren't many in that Eco system in the hobby.

Both Jewels and Trophs have a rep of dominating a tank, so they could balance out, or kill each other.

Some possible unconventional tank mates would be Paradise fish, larger gouramis, Congo tetras.
With Trophs. There's a few options. Just google "Tropheus tank mates"

You may also be able to do some Malawi Mbuna.

55 gallons, so so many possibilities, seriously.

I don't know this for sure, in fact this is a 100% guess, but an African leaf fish might be another REALLY COOL addition.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to stock my Jewels. I have the pair left over from an old tank and I've read a lot about the misconception on how aggressive they are towards others. They have matured into a pretty cool color and I don't really want to part with them.

I figured I would see if they I could manage three species in one, but it looks like I might just go with the two jewels and overstock with tropheus'.

I am going to check out that leaf fish, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom