HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 angels, 2 large and one small. The large angels leave the small one alone and never used to fight. In the last few days though they are fighting like crazy! The larger of the 2 has been hiding but the other scares him out of the cave and bites him repeatedly. His fins are frayed and there is a chunk of scales missing. One of his long front fins is almost gone. I've been feeding a lot of frozen food lately... is that whats causing this sudden aggression? How can I stop this aggression? Will adding some dither fish like danios help? Will his front fin grow back? Should I take any precautions like medication or aquarium salt because of the missing chunk of scales?

First what size tank do you have? The fins will grow back but not if the aggression contiunes. If your tank is too small, then you may be forced to return one angelfish. If your tank is bigger you might be able to stay the aggression by moving some of the ornaments or plants around and providing more hiding spots. I hate to tell you this but aggression can start anytime for any reason and you may just simply have 2 incompatible angelfish.

Depending on what other fish are in the tank, adding melafix may help the fin regrowth but as I mentioned it won't help if the aggression doesn't stop.

I would try pulling the bully from the tank and rearranging the aquascape. Let the other fish calm down before returning the bully(2 or 3 hours). They will have to reestablish the pecking order. unfortunately that is the nature of angels.

Angels are tricky fish because they can show aggression for no reason. It is best to have Angels that are similar in size. From your previous posts I am assuming that the biggest one is twice the size. What size is your tank? If it is too small it doesn't matter what you do, aggression will happen.

My tank is 55 gallons. I think I will remove him and try to rearrange things. Hopefully this will help. I dont want to give him up. I have a full green hygrophilia, a small twisty plant, some anubias attached to a piece of driftwood, 2 small needle leaf ludwigia and a brazilian sword (which I didn't know wasn't a true aquatic when I bought it). Should I add some more plants or another piece of driftwood?

Add something the angel can hide in. A cave, a coconut cave, something that will provide a hiding spot not just something to hide behind.

I tried removing the aggressive angel for an hour and a half, rearranged everything and put him back in. It worked! ...at least for now. He isn't the boss anymore and my big angel isn't chasing him around. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom