Help!!! Guys out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys fed my fish frozen blood worm today and my severums guts are sticking out now! This happened to my last severum as well. I fed the other one peas last time and it went back in. So I'm trying it again. I need help though. If anyone has any knowledge about this. Please reply.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390621426.331219.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390621439.117397.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390621447.178832.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390621454.719320.jpg
Thanks in advance

It looks like a breeding tube, what else is in the tank. It may have nothing to do with digestion. If it were guts, I dont think the peas would help. It would just go in by itself

It looks like a breeding tube, what else is in the tank. It may have nothing to do with digestion. If it were guts, I dont think the peas would help. It would just go in by itself

It's very small around 2 and a half inches. In the tank there is a full size parrot fish, 2 tetras, 2 gouramis and a pleco

DID YOU THAW THE BLOOD WORMS FIRST!? If you don't it causes them to bloat and that can happen!!!

It's not as big of a deal as some people make it. I didn't thaw for years and never had a problem

Yeah. I wobble them in the water a little till they thaw and then feed them. At the moment I don't know what to do. I feel bad for the fish because he's trying to rub the sack thing off and it's not working.

DID YOU THAW THE BLOOD WORMS FIRST!? If you don't it causes them to bloat and that can happen!!!

I think you're a little confused between freeze dried and frozen.

Frozen foods already have moisture in them and will not expand in a fish's stomach, so just thawing and feeding is fine.

Freeze dried has no moisture and needs to be soaked in a cup of tank water before feeding so that it doesn't expand in the stomach.

Feeding frozen bloodworms wouldn't have caused bloat unless they;

1) over eat

2) are mbuna cichlids who are primarily herbivores and can't have high protein

Everything I've read on prolapse says the same thing, keep the water clean and hope it doesn't happen again. There's really no cure other than adding more veggies to the diet.

My severum has the same thing. So I feed veggies and keep water clean, and thts really all I can do? Do they just go back in usually? Id hate to lose this fish so if theres anything else I can do for him then plz let me kno :-D thanks

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My severum has the same thing. So I feed veggies and keep water clean, and thts really all I can do? Do they just go back in usually? Id hate to lose this fish so if theres anything else I can do for him then plz let me kno :-D thanks

Actually! My Severum lived and is fine now :). I continuously fed strictly peas. No protein except some flakes. Stick to not feeding them as much. And keep a constant focus on getting peas in that fishes mouth!

Oo thanks for that, hes stil the same this mrng and hasnt touched the peas but I moved them right nxt to him and he ate a couple so I wil keep doin that. The only thing is I cant seperate him, hes too big for my other tank so my other fish wil hav to go without food too but thts ok isnt it? Thanks again for ur reply :)

Oo thanks for that, hes stil the same this mrng and hasnt touched the peas but I moved them right nxt to him and he ate a couple so I wil keep doin that. The only thing is I cant seperate him, hes too big for my other tank so my other fish wil hav to go without food too but thts ok isnt it? Thanks again for ur reply :)

Yes I did one day on one day off. Tropical flakes are alright for him to eat just not too much. These fish don't digest pure protein well, so the flaked are good no bloodworms, or live food. This happened twice to two of my severums. Worked both times :)

Brilliant thanks for that, its actually gone back in now and he is fine like nothing ever happened but I clearly need to change their diet as I was puttin in 3 blocks of frozen food one night then flakes the nxt, he eats alot, he grabs the majority of it all which is y I put in a lot to let the others get a chance. But im gona only give frozen maybe only 2 nights a week and feed more veg. Been lucky this time, dont want it happenin again. Thanks for ur advice:-D

Brilliant thanks for that, its actually gone back in now and he is fine like nothing ever happened but I clearly need to change their diet as I was puttin in 3 blocks of frozen food one night then flakes the nxt, he eats alot, he grabs the majority of it all which is y I put in a lot to let the others get a chance. But im gona only give frozen maybe only 2 nights a week and feed more veg. Been lucky this time, dont want it happenin again. Thanks for ur advice:-D

I for sure recommend no frozen protein foods for Severums. But it's your fish not mine.

Yea thts fine, I want the best for them. Wat do u recommend I feed them?:)

Yea thts fine, I want the best for them. Wat do u recommend I feed them?:)

New life spectrum cichlid formula sinking pellets
Tropical flakes
Hikari excel. Vegetable cichlid pellets
And occasionally. Dries blood worms. Is the diet I use for them.

Thank you :-D

Back
Top Bottom