2 Heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristin23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, can anyone please advise me on whether it's a good idea to use 2 heaters in an aquarium? I've read lower wattage, multiple heaters are ok at different ends of aquarium. But can you use Two (2) Tetra, HT30, 10-30 gal, 100 watt heaters, in a 27 gal tank?

I just lost all of my fish because the heater died :( This tank is in my office, and I'm not here evenings or weekends. We have a battery back up in case power goes out, but there is only 1 heater in tank. I'm afraid this could happen again, and so I thought 2 heaters would remedy this. However, I don't want to overheat the water and cook my fish, which is what I'm told will happen? Even though though package clearly states it prevents overheating, I'm still uncertain if (two) would do just that?

Any advice be great as I need to fix this problem before I get new fish :confused:
Thanx!

Hello, can anyone please advise me on whether it's a good idea to use 2 heaters in an aquarium? I've read lower wattage, multiple heaters are ok at different ends of aquarium. But can you use Two (2) Tetra, HT30, 10-30 gal, 100 watt heaters, in a 27 gal tank?

I just lost all of my fish because the heater died :( This tank is in my office, and I'm not here evenings or weekends. We have a battery back up in case power goes out, but there is only 1 heater in tank. I'm afraid this could happen again, and so I thought 2 heaters would remedy this. However, I don't want to overheat the water and cook my fish, which is what I'm told will happen? Even though though package clearly states it prevents overheating, I'm still uncertain if (two) would do just that?

Any advice be great as I need to fix this problem before I get new fish :confused:
Thanx!
If they come preset to a temperature, they should both shut off at the same time when that temp is met. You do not want to use 2 different brands tho as if they are not perfectly calibrated, they could keep playing against themselves.
The other issue is that should there be a power surge, it could blow both of them and it won't matter how many heaters in there. If the power goes out, it won't matter that you have 2 heaters as neither one would be working. It's a better idea to set up the electric so that if the main power goes out, a second source will automatically go on so the the temp does not go down far enough to make a difference to the fish. :whistle:

How long does your UPS operate for? Our office building UPS will provide power for about 2 hours, if you want longer then a generator is a better idea.

Redundancy is usually a good thing. If one stops working the other can produce some heat. In building design you often go with 2 boilers, each capable of heating 2/3 of the space, so if one fails the other at least gives you something.

2 heaters will also give you better temperature consistency around the tank if you had a heater at each side. Especially in larger aquariums.

Downside might be that when a heater fails, its often the thermostat that fails. If it happens to fail in the on position then you might end up with an overheating situation. If only one fails, and it fails in the on position, then not a problem. If its 2/3 capacity it shouldnt cause an overheating issue, the working heater should just cut off as the water goes above its set temperature, and the faulty heater wouldnt have enough power to cause overheating on its own. If they both failed at the same time, and they both failed in the on position, you have 2 heaters each stuck on, and that overheating will be worse.

2 heaters failing at the same time, and both failing stuck on is highly unlikly IMO.

If you want better redundancy, get 2 heaters, set them both to max, connect them both through a temperature controller like an inkbird. Let the temperature controller switch them on/ off, they will work in tandem too as the controller will turn them on/ off together. If a thermometer fails in the on position the temperature controller will turn it off when the temperature exceeds the controller set temperature, and back on when it drops below. You wouldnt even know there was a faulty heater in this circumstance. If one fails in the off position, as the working heater is set to max, it will pick up the slack, again letting the controller control the temperature.

Last edited:
I just tried this I would recommend getting two 75 watt freesea heaters. Mine has a digital face. I feel using two smaller heaters like this at each end would be optimal. I killed all of my fish using a 100 watt and 75 watt. I got home from work and the water was almost 90°.

Hi Andy, Thanx so much for your prompt advice. Sorry for late reply, life has been in the way ;o
Oh we do have a battery back-up in case power goes out. As we already lived and learned that nightmare scenario...

Yah know that's what I thought, they have an auto shut off once temp is reached. The 'Tetra' brand heaters. So I'll be adding another, one on each side for sure.( Letting the tank rest a while, after adding new live sand too. Told thats a good idea? idk)

Thank you for your time and valuable advice!!

Hi Aiken, Thank you so much for your time and advice...

I'm not sure how long the battery back up runs for? I think until we switch it back over, and power is back on? I'll have to ask. Good point!

The Tetra brand heaters we use have an auto temp set, and it shuts off automatically once reached. You cant adjust them. I'm going to use 2, 100 watts, in opposite ends of tank. They should shut off once temp is reached and not over heat, as box states. They do have a help line, perhaps I'll try giving them a call. Thanx again :)

Oh I can relate... :...( It sux. Sorry to hear that.

I'm going to use 2, 100 watt. Most everyone here said its ok, and I don't ever want to go through that again! More importantly, have my fishies go through that either :(

Thanx everyone! I'm new to this board here. Obviously ;) I don't think I replied correctly? As my responses are not appearing within the correct area? Please forgive my ignorance
I tried lol

Hi Andy, Thanx so much for your prompt advice. Sorry for late reply, life has been in the way ;o
Oh we do have a battery back-up in case power goes out. As we already lived and learned that nightmare scenario...

Yah know that's what I thought, they have an auto shut off once temp is reached. The 'Tetra' brand heaters. So I'll be adding another, one on each side for sure.( Letting the tank rest a while, after adding new live sand too. Told thats a good idea? idk)

Thank you for your time and valuable advice!!
NO problem :) That's why we are here. (y)
Keep in mind that if you add live sand but do not have an ammonia source also at the same time, the "live" portion of the sand is going to die from starvation. If you do not want to add live fish now, you must add ammonia to the tank to keep the biological filter alive for when you do add fish back in. Add enough to bring the ammonia level up to 2 ppm and see how long it takes for it to go back to zero. Once you know that, ( Say it's 2 days now) add ammonia after 2 days to bring it back to 2 ppm. Continue to do this and testing your ammonia level to see how long it takes until you are ready to add fish again. It's safe to add fish again when the zero happens in 24 hours or less. (y) ( Don't worry if you miss a day after the level returns to zero. The microbes won't starve if they miss one meal. ;) )

wow thanks Andy for your invaluable advice and time :) I had absolutely no idea! Like regular ammonia used for cleaning? That's kinda scary...I'll have to research it thoroughly before adding it. Do you think that the live sand could have had a role in killing all of my fish too? As we did not wait long before adding them. We did rinse and clean it well, and then let the filter run for a few hours before adding them back into tank. They did survive overnight into next day...so idk. The heater did die, and the water was cold, but so now I'm not sure...I'm sorry to keep adding onto my issues over here and taking up your time. Any more advice though, is really appreciated! (I'm ready to drain the tank and buy a chameleon already lol ;)

If you go with ammonia you have to make sure its plain and simple bleach. Like the really cheap, janitor grade stuff. No perfumes or surfactants, just diluted down ammonia.

Its more common to use an aquarium specific ammonium chloride product like Dr Tims One and Only or Fritz Fishless Fuel instead of actual ammonia.

wow thanks Andy for your invaluable advice and time :) I had absolutely no idea! Like regular ammonia used for cleaning? That's kinda scary...I'll have to research it thoroughly before adding it. Do you think that the live sand could have had a role in killing all of my fish too? As we did not wait long before adding them. We did rinse and clean it well, and then let the filter run for a few hours before adding them back into tank. They did survive overnight into next day...so idk. The heater did die, and the water was cold, but so now I'm not sure...I'm sorry to keep adding onto my issues over here and taking up your time. Any more advice though, is really appreciated! (I'm ready to drain the tank and buy a chameleon already lol ;)
Yeah, ya kinda need to give out ALL the information from the beginning if you want to get more exact help. ;) ;)

For starters, you must follow directions on the product's packaging. ( Do not ask others, read the directions yourself. (y) ) You bought live sand because it contained live microbes for the "cycling". You killed or washed away all those microbes when you washed it really well. :eek: One supplier's direction:" New live sand should not be rinsed with fresh water before putting it into an aquarium for the first time, this will kill off the beneficial bacteria." So that was mistake #1, maybe,( there could have been more? :whistle: ;) ) but the good news is that that wouldn't kill the fish because you would just be doing a fish in cycling instead of having it already done. The only real damage you did was to your wallet. :whistle:

How cold was cold after the heater went out? What kind(s) of fish were in the tank? Tropical fish will not do well in water below the mid 60s but may handle it for short periods. Fish like goldfish can have ice over their heads with no bad reactions. ( That actually helps prepare them for spawning. )

As for trading the fish for a Chameleon, you are talking to the wrong person. I used to have and breed the Jackson's Chameleon and wouldn't think twice of adding a tank with them in it. ;) ;) :lol: ( But they won't handle real cold either :whistle: ) Set that baby up right next to the fish tank. :D And now, with so many different ones being bred in captivity, there are a lot of choices available at mostly reasonable prices. :whistle: ;)

yeah I already went there I don't like the idea of real ammonia either. Found that Fritz Fishless Fuel on Amazon, I'll be buying that. Thanks again Aiken!!

Hey Andy- haha ur a funny guy ;)

Well my issues grew, as this thread did lol...

In my defense, it wasn't my doing to wash the sand. It was my husband's. The tank has always been his thing, not mine. However, I'm now taking a more active role because of situations like this. He felt 2 heaters would overheat the water and cook the fish?? I disagreed. He washed the sand! He insisted we had too? Sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I thought it sounded crazy! That's another reason why I joined this forum. ;)

It's good to know rinsing the sand didn't increase ammonia levels and kill our fish!
There was a mix of Tetras & 1 Rainbow fish- I had him for 3 yrs. :(
No goldfish. Although I love them, had one last year become sick and die on me, it was then that I started taking a more of an interest in the tank. (My husband means well, but he's terribly busy.)

I'm not sure what the exact temp was? It was cold and it happened fast! But it was freezing outside so...

Oh I've always loved chameleons. I'd love a rainbow. Watching them change colors with the background has to be absolutely awesome. Plus I love their bulbous rotating eyes, the way they move...everything!! Adorable!

I'm a DEC wildlife rehabilitator too. We take care of raccoons, possums and an occasional squirrel. In addition to working full time, It's a zoo ova here! I'm trying to learn the tank thing too (which is like needing a chemistry degree really ;). Adding another species to my list. Crazy.

But, before we get new goldfish (I'd like 2), I'll be getting this tank in order! Thanx to you guys it will be somewhat easier? Thank you again!!

Yeah, yeah, blame the husband. :rolleyes: :lol:

If the sand wasn't live sand, he would have been correct to wash the heck out of the sand but you don't do that with "live sand". Unless you still have the packaging, next time you are in a store that sells it, read the directions on the package. ( Take a pic of them and show to hubby if he isn't with you. :whistle: )

I know people who do it but I have never found mixing goldfish and tropicals to be a great mix for a couple of reasons: Goldfish are a dirtier fish than the smaller tropicals so they will require more frequent and larger water changes or larger filters in order to keep the water clean enough for the tropicals. Goldfish do not have stomachs so they need to be fed frequently throughout the day vs just the once or twice a day that most people feed their fish. They also need more vegetation in their diet than protein while Tropicals need more protein than veggies. Goldfish do better at colder temperatures that Tropicals so getting a " sweet spot" for temps that everyone will do well in is a very difficult endeavor.
So you see how they really aren't a good mix. :whistle:

I'll say this, if you are really concerned about the temperature and you don't have fish now, why not stick with just a few small goldfish ( they will need to go into a much larger tank when they grow because a 27 gal is too small for them permanently). They are not concerned about it being cold. In fact, many varieties survive ice being over their heads. Their best temperature range is 65F-75 F. It would solve a number of your problems. (y)

Now let's talk about these Chameleons. :D :lol: Those Panther Chameleons are B E A U T I F U L but I understand they are not good at being handled. My Jacksonii would hang out with me at the office and the male would freak people out when they saw those horns. :lol: :lol: Once one of the shops coming to buy fish brought their young son with him and he saw the male and ran out of the office yelling to his Dad, " DADDY, he's got a DINOSAUR in his office!!!!!" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: A day that will live in my memory forever. :D (y)(y)

But it wazzz the husband honest ;)

Yeah I think he brain cramped on the sand thing...thinking it wasn't live, and washing it as usual. (I did add Stress Zyme but suppose tha'ts all moot now.) I told him what you all said and I also researched it a bit more, and yeah its all good now. (You know how you guys are, never stop and ask for directions, just keep driving thru ur tunnel-just playin ;)

Yeah I know GF like colder temps...so then I suppose an extra heater isn't necessary? I'd still be afraid tho cuz in NY we can get below 0, office wouldnt get that cold, we keep it at 65 in evening, but I'd still worry? Then again like you said they can survive in icy water, so then perhaps 2 heaters would be over kill?

I know the'yre supposed to get really big, it would be awesome to have one large enough where I had to upgrade to a BIGGER TANK!
(thanx for all of that extra info on them :)

Oh I just looked up Panther Chameleons!! That's them! WOW they're beyond beautiful!! I mean how freakin cool are they?? I thought they were called rainbow? Ive seen so many videos where people put colored paper across a table, set the baby down and as it walks over the paper it changes/blends in...I mean that has to be one of the coolest thing I've ever seen! Except for octopuses, Ive witnessed them while snorkeling in caribbean morph right before my eyes into a rock! Thinking he was tricking me ;) Talk about a shape-shifter!! No that had to be the coolest thing Ive ever seen! How I would LOVE one-or two! Chameleons that is- well an octopus would rock too, but fogetaboutit! I can barely keep freshwater tank!

I think there's a private breeder in my area? Cuz I wouldnt want to buy one thru Pet Smart or Co. I hate what those chains do to all animals and I do not want to support that. That's it though I'm tired of wanting one...I'm going to do it, next year, after holidays. I'll do plenty of research beforehand (but now that I know an expert ;) I would think it's a good idea to use a tether strap when holding one so it doesn't jet across the room and into the abyss on ya?

Yeah they do look like little dinosaurs lmao :)-I always thought that too! especially those water dragons, and spiny devils? I think thery're called? Its like gazing into the trippy past!

Well, you know you have options.
I've kept Octopi. Really neat but not long lived unless you get the giant Pacific Octopus. The ones we got in the shops only live 2-3 years. The Giant Pacific lives 3-5 years so not THAT much longer. :( And if you are unlucky enough to get a female, if she lays eggs, that's the beginning of the end for her. :( :(

As for tethering a Chameleon, if you can't outrun one of those, you really shouldn't have one. :whistle: :lol::lol:

As for the goldfish, I wouldn't even use a heater with them. If the office is 65 at night, what is it during the day? If the swing is not THAT bad, the heater wouldn't even be necessary.

"Brain cramped", That's a new one for me. That sounds worse than a Brain Fart. :^0 :lol:
At one store I worked in, we had company shirts we had to wear that had a pocket so I used to keep a BeeBee parrot in there. He liked to just hang out in the pocket then stick his head out to scare the customers. :lol: I can't tell you how many times a customer would say to me " Uh.... Um.. Uh.....you know you have something moving in your shirt don't you? ":eek: Then I would whip out this cute little birdie with a " Oh, you mean this guy?? " . :ROFLMAO:
The curse of working in pet shops is you get to have a whole lot of different pets at home ( as long as your parents or significant other doesn't mind. :whistle: :D ) My best pet was this guy: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/41382-albums14447.html Talk about commitment. I had him for 21 years. (y)

Back
Top Bottom