Help me! Hurricane Sandy is killing my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most battery powered air pumps are not very powerful and will not drive air very far into the tank

here's a few options: If your car hasn't been effected and you have some gas you can buy a small power inverter from radio shack and hook up the heater to the cars cigarette lighter. Add a battery powered airstone to put some oxygen into the water. If you dont have them stir the water up with a wooden spoon.

2. like someone else mentioned use water bottles filled with hot water, then float them in the tank. Also can add warm water during water changes. The hand warmers might work, just put them into a container or something so the chemicals can't get into the water.

3. Maybe temporarily re-home them until the power comes back on.

I know how ya feel, I just went through the same thing, luckily all of my fish made it through the storm. Lots of devastation on LI, and staten island, glad u guys made it through ok

Thanks Quest! A few hot water bottles brought one tank up 2 more degrees so far. Ill be doing this all night but its the best working idea so far!!!!

Glad it is working for you. I had to do the same years ago when the power was out for 3 days due to a snow storm. Had a layer of ice on the water in the toilet it was so cold in the house! Water bottles filled with hot water was my savior that weekend.

Back
Top Bottom