Help me! Hurricane Sandy is killing my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beth Jillian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, Everyone. First and foremost- my heart goes out to all those that lost homes, cars or even lives from the hurricane. I'm on Long Island and we are facing a lot f tragedy.
My Cichlids are slowly dying from freezing water temperatures (60degrees) what can I do to heat my tank without electricity ?! I know there are battery operated pumps but right now heat is vital.

Anyone??

Daily smaller water changes with warm water, do not feed and a few times a day take a glass and scoop water then pour back in to keep aerated. I also moved my media bag from the filter into the tank. Clean filters especially canisters for when power comes back.
Good luck.

Thank you for replying! We haven't had power since last Monday and their stress levels are really high. Many of them lost all of their color or have blotches on them. Do you think the water changes will increase their stress level and will the sudden change in temp hurt them? We'll do anything! We waiting for gas for 2 hours to run a little generator for 2 hours at night just to keep it filtrated!!!

I take it you don't have a genorator? Is there any way to heat water by propane or something of nature? Wrap tank in blanket and good luck

I guess the cold water and no lights put my Maleri Peacocks in the mood! I just saw the female with a mouth full of eggs!!! Made my day!

I'm hoping she doesn't spit them out.....aghhh

You just posted lol. What if you quit running the filter and run your heater off of the generator? Then wrap your tank in a blanket or 2

This might seem stupid but it's something that came to mind and may be dangerous even haha but I duno what else u could do..... So here's nothing, if you can start a fire heat rocks up and put them in the tank.. Ur at risk when doin this because some rocks may explode due to heat changes and or water vapors trapped inside rocks. But it would give u a longer lasting heat source. If the fish come in contact or get to close to it that will also be burnt or die even so u would also have to section the rocks off so they don't get to close. Do not place the rock on the glass anywhere what so ever it will crack your tank indefinitely. The risk makes this method pretty much worthless and not beneficial. I wouldn't try it myself unless it was a last ditch effort and do not by any means recommend.

Second thought thick pieces of metal heated up would be safer and repetitive heating you would be able to adjust your water temperature so that it does not go above unsafe levels. It would just take a long time and water vapor and or hot water spray would still make this risky and dangerous

This one will be hard but could work... Use hoses and tubing and connect it to your cars heater.., and run it to you aquarium...

Or last resort I have space in my 55 gal I will buy them and pay for shipping and when u get power and its stable I will sell them back to you and ship them... I'm in Louisiana so it's always hot enough here..

As mentioned...I would change water with warmer water then add the hand warmers from walmart to make the warmth last longer especially at night when temps do drop...good luck

Thank you for the feet DJSilentchild. Very kind of you! We will try the hand Warmers to start- those can go in the water? Or should I put it in a ziplock ? Thank you all!

That's difficult because they can not get wet nor do u want those chemical dissolving in your tank water because yes its a chemical reaction that makes them warm. handwarmers can tend to get really warm its very possible that they would even melt the plastic. I would do a trial run before putting them in your tank... Do they make a water proof version that I'm not aware of now??? Personally you would need a heck* of a lot of hand warmers to even make an impact

I would get feet warmers bc they have a sticky side... Then stick them to the glass... They won't get hot enough 2 crack your glass but your chiclids will be able to atleast have a little heat... And it's no problem... I'm new to aquariums and my fiancée says its out of control... And I know I'd be mad if I lost mine

Also I would get like a Tupperware to put them in or a thick bag if you want them inside the tank... Also I would put a few together alone the bottom outside of the tank... This way it will help heat up the whole tank

I'd wrap the tank in blankets, add hot water in a bottle of water and let float. Keep swapping them out as they cool down. I'd be skeptical of putting hand warmers in the tank without being in a ziplock or something similar. At this point I would worry more about running the heater than the filter off the generator. You can do water changes to cope for a bacteria colony that is dying off. You can't make by without heat though.

If you can get to a camping store you could pick up a solar blanket. ( they look like tin foil) wrap your talk with that. ThAt would hold the heat in best. They are cheap and I think that would work best for holding whatever warmth you have In your tank

Paxdaddy said:
If you can get to a camping store you could pick up a solar blanket. ( they look like tin foil) wrap your talk with that. ThAt would hold the heat in best. They are cheap and I think that would work best for holding whatever warmth you have In your tank

That's for sure your best bet and a great idea

Back
Top Bottom