Help me stock my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogiBear15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I was hoping someone would be able to help me with stocking my new 55 gallon tank. I am going to do an aggressive Amazonian or Central American theme. Cichlids. I was wondering if anyone has some stocking ideas.
Trust me when i say i have ample filtration for any fish that can fit in this tank (Fluval 305, 75-gallon HOB, 2x55-gallon HOB) as well as heating and water movement.
What i am really looking for is a setup with one bigger, colorful fish that has a "school" of smaller cichlids that accent it. Like 1 JD and a few convicts or whatever.
Ideas are really appreciated. Also, anyone think i could (not saying i will) keep a Red Devil in this tank without having to upgrade? Or a fully grown FEMALE jaguar cichlid? Alone, obviously. It is only about 11.5 inch (it was stunted a bit from previous owner, but looks normal... Just a bit small.)

55 gallon SA/CA cichlid tank
29 gallon tropical community

Sent from Atlantis?

No. Jaguar cichlids and red devils are too big for that tank, imo. They also should be kept alone in my opinion.

A community with a JD in it should be at least a 100g, imo.

I'd do a pair of rainbow cichlids and a pair of firemouths.

Hi. I was hoping someone would be able to help me with stocking my new 55 gallon tank. I am going to do an aggressive Amazonian or Central American theme. Cichlids. I was wondering if anyone has some stocking ideas.
Trust me when i say i have ample filtration for any fish that can fit in this tank (Fluval 305, 75-gallon HOB, 2x55-gallon HOB) as well as heating and water movement.
What i am really looking for is a setup with one bigger, colorful fish that has a "school" of smaller cichlids that accent it. Like 1 JD and a few convicts or whatever.
Ideas are really appreciated. Also, anyone think i could (not saying i will) keep a Red Devil in this tank without having to upgrade? Or a fully grown FEMALE jaguar cichlid? Alone, obviously. It is only about 11.5 inch (it was stunted a bit from previous owner, but looks normal... Just a bit small.)

Sent from Atlantis?
i woudnt just because I've seen some pretty big 2 foot Jaguars. Woudnt reccomend in a 55 at all think it's too small. Red Devils can get to 30 inches so both it and the jaguar would be extremely cramped woudnt reccomend at all. I'm not a cichlid expert tbh. Angelfish are semi aggressive and South American cichlids but ith other cichlids the angelfish will be hurt or killed. Same with the other guy. I will do some more research maybe. But if you are looking for aggressive fish angels won't do the job. Angels are a little aggressive I guess but that's just kinda good natured( ecleast with my angelfish it has been ) most Angels are only aggressive when breeding and protecting fry and eggs. I will look into more aggressive colorful cichlids for you!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ya a pair of fire mouths and then maybe a few smaller cichlids would be nice. I've heard of breeding convicts ripping apart other fish so Ya. I also some some colorful fish that really have beautiful coloring called Haplochromis nyererei. I'll put a link to a pic http://www.african-cichlid.com/NyerereiMwanza.htm

i woudnt just because I've seen some pretty big 2 foot Jaguars. Woudnt reccomend in a 55 at all think it's too small. Red Devils can get to 30 inches so both it and the jaguar would be extremely cramped woudnt reccomend at all. I'm not a cichlid expert tbh. Angelfish are semi aggressive and South American cichlids but ith other cichlids the angelfish will be hurt or killed. Same with the other guy. I will do some more research maybe. But if you are looking for aggressive fish angels won't do the job. Angels are a little aggressive I guess but that's just kinda good natured( ecleast with my angelfish it has been ) most Angels are only aggressive when breeding and protecting fry and eggs. I will look into more aggressive colorful cichlids for you!

Well i have never, never, ever seen a report on a red devil getting to above 12-14 inches, and i don't believe that anything other than a wild caught "mutant" of sorts could get near that big. Maybe you're thinking of a different fish...? Also, jags can get big but i mentioned the conditions for the one in the LFS. Don't think they get quite that big tho...

Would appreciate solid advice not exaggerations, although i mean no dis-respect.

Sent from Atlantis?

Ya a pair of fire mouths and then maybe a few smaller cichlids would be nice. I've heard of breeding convicts ripping apart other fish so Ya. I also some some colorful fish that really have beautiful coloring called Haplochromis nyererei. I'll put a link to a pic http://www.african-cichlid.com/NyerereiMwanza.htm

Thanks. Any ideas on what could ho with? SA or CA cichlids only please. Thanks :)

Sent from Atlantis?

The Jaguar Cichlid grows to a length of just over 21" to 24" (55-63 cm) and 3 1/2 pounds in the wild. In the aquarium, males get to about 16" (40 cm) and females to about 14" (36 cm). That's true it depends where the jag cichlid is from as you can see in the quote above.

As mentioned above, the Red devil cichlid can grow up to 30 centimeters (12 inches) in length and you must therefore be prepared to get it a large aquarium. As long as the fish is below 20 centimeters (8 inches) in length, a 122 centimeter (48 inches) long aquarium will usually be enough, provided that it has a capacity of 55 gallons (209 liters) or more. The aquarium must be decorated in a way that leaves a big area open for swimming. You should also create a number of sheltered spots for the Red devil cichlid, e.g. by including stones, caves and roots in the set up. Since the Red devil cichlid can be a prodigious digger, it is advisable to place any heavier object directly on the aquarium glass to avoid accidents. Live plants can be destroyed by the Red devil cichlid, so if you wish to arrange a planted aquarium I recommend really sturdy (and inexpensive) plant species. A Red devil cichlid spends most of its time in the lower part of the aquarium. Ya you're right my bad sorry for the bad info. Still I woudnt reccomend in a. 55 you woudnt be able to stock as many fish your decision tho

Nyererei cichlids are supposed to be compatible with most lake Malawi mbuna

As mentioned above, the Red devil cichlid can grow up to 30 centimeters (12 inches) in length and you must therefore be prepared to get it a large aquarium. As long as the fish is below 20 centimeters (8 inches) in length, a 122 centimeter (48 inches) long aquarium will usually be enough, provided that it has a capacity of 55 gallons (209 liters) or more. The aquarium must be decorated in a way that leaves a big area open for swimming. You should also create a number of sheltered spots for the Red devil cichlid, e.g. by including stones, caves and roots in the set up. Since the Red devil cichlid can be a prodigious digger, it is advisable to place any heavier object directly on the aquarium glass to avoid accidents. Live plants can be destroyed by the Red devil cichlid, so if you wish to arrange a planted aquarium I recommend really sturdy (and inexpensive) plant species. A Red devil cichlid spends most of its time in the lower part of the aquarium. Ya you're right my bad sorry for the bad info. Still I woudnt reccomend in a. 55 you woudnt be able to stock as many fish your decision tho

Hey no problem bro. 30 centimeters is a huge difference from what you said originally, which was 30 INCHES. But yes, i wouldn't stock much else with the Devil except a Syno. No plants and a few hiding spots. I am considering the Devil, but it is very unlikely for me to do the jaguar, because i would feel kinda bad and the would upgrade later. Any other suggestions?

Sent from Atlantis?

No. Jaguar cichlids and red devils are too big for that tank, imo. They also should be kept alone in my opinion.

A community with a JD in it should be at least a 100g, imo.

I'd do a pair of rainbow cichlids and a pair of firemouths.

Ok. Any particular reason for such a large JD community? It is fairly common to see 55 gallon tanks with 2 oscars in them on the old youtube, and they seem to get along ok, without HITH or anything. However, i understand that it is fairly ridiculous to assume that always works. Thanks for the advice though! :)

Sent from Atlantis?

Also if i did a Jag or Red Devil, it would be alone except for a syno

Sent from Atlantis?

Ok. Any particular reason for such a large JD community? It is fairly common to see 55 gallon tanks with 2 oscars in them on the old youtube, and they seem to get along ok, without HITH or anything. However, i understand that it is fairly ridiculous to assume that always works. Thanks for the advice though! :)

Sent from Atlantis?

Youtube fish keepers aren't reliable, at all. You'll see people keeping a ton of goldfish in a 5g, is that right? Nope.

Ok. That is a pretty decent size fish. However, it doesn't exceed 14 inches, i was just giving the range of maximum sizes (12-14).

Does the measurement include the trailers and tail? Because the tail fin is like an extra 2 inches so i was wondering how this fish was measured.

Sent from Atlantis?

Youtube fish keepers aren't reliable, at all. You'll see people keeping a ton of goldfish in a 5g, is that right? Nope.

Ya i know. I was just saying that things can work out when the arent really supposed to.

Thanks though :)

Sent from Atlantis?

Ok. That is a pretty decent size fish. However, it doesn't exceed 14 inches, i was just giving the range of maximum sizes (12-14).

Does the measurement include the trailers and tail? Because the tail fin is like an extra 2 inches so i was wondering how this fish was measured.

Yes, the correct way to measure fish is to pinch the caudal fin.

Your statement was you've never, never, ever seen one over 12". There is a LFS who has one over 14" on a tape.

Well i said never seen one over 12-14 inches. You quoted that. But ok, i can admit to being a bit wrong ;)

Sent from Atlantis?

Any advice Hukit gives you is spot on. He's one of the most reliable members on here. His past and present fish (check his gallery ) is proof.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A midevil or jag do not belong in a 55. There are lots of great options out there.

Just a few idea fish

Thorichthys maculpinnis
andinoacara pulcher
Geophagus surinamsis
Cichlasoma salvini
Thorichthys aerum

Tons of options, these are just some I've been eyeing lately in no particular order.

Most people here are really friendly (I am not), if you use the right attitude they will give you all the help in the world as well as feedback once you have the fish.

Back
Top Bottom