Help! Tired of the aqua scape for cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot more clear just waiting for the drift wood to be able to submerge and then a few more plants and it's done. The fish love it and wow we are so happy with it!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390187434.614983.jpg rock retaining walls (which hold back gravel or sand to allow for deeper planting of plants) and caves.
I used pond stones (large bag from Home Depot $3), and some small glass vases from the second hand store ($1 each), and a small tube of aquarium safe silicone (Home Depot $3.50).
I placed the glass vases between the retaining walls and buried them in gravel. Adding some rocks to the top of the vase rim to help hold the gravel.

I need to find a cheaper place to get Texas holy rock I can get for 2.5 a pound but that's a lot considering its rocks where talking about I have some but I love to have lots

I'm glad I ran into this thread. My 36g is getting rather boring and everyone's tanks look really nice. My EB Jack Dempsey and a pleco are the only occupants at the moment. The pleco will probably have to be re-homed down the road and the Jack doesn't like tank mates. He dispatched the last female in late 2012. So after working on clearing a 9 month running algae bloom (talk about a boring tank!) I need to change something, and EBJD isn't going anywhere :). I do like the texas holey rock and the slate.

They'll be fine. I don't see any huge rocks that' would tumble or cause any damage. When you stack em I am sure you made sure they were as stable as stocked rocks can be

They'll be fine. I don't see any huge rocks that' would tumble or cause any damage. When you stack em I am sure you made sure they were as stable as stocked rocks can be

Yes I made sure it wasn't going to tip. Decided on no wood and just rocks and plants...

Still need to get plants but what do u think of this one? (The waters cloudy from sand cuz of changing the rocks)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390270299.840698.jpg

Yes I made sure it wasn't going to tip. Decided on no wood and just rocks and plants...

Still need to get plants but what do u think of this one? (The waters cloudy from sand cuz of changing the rocks)

View attachment 217871

Looks good. I think subtle fake plants is way to go. My last suggestion is maybe go w black background to make sand and fish colors pop?? And in long term I'm worried u will need bigger tank for fish that u have.

Oh black backgrounds perfect. I'll go pick that and plants up tomorrow. Thanks. And yes we will be using bigger tank shortly. Looking for bigger now to start cycle but still have some time. Thanks so much for all the help

Back
Top Bottom