Help with Cichlid Tank Architecture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cecil2010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,
Ok so my fish are starting to get bigger and starting to get on each others nerves so i was wanting to make something new in my tank. i was thinking about going to the creek near my house and getting some rocks and slate to build them something with a lot of paths and holes so that they can get around easier. but i was wondering what steps i need to take in cleaning the rocks to ensure that in not bringing anything foreign into my tank?

I have 4 cichlids, 2 plecos, and about 16 assassin snails. I have a 45G tank. i have three of the "cichlid stones" of verious sizes but they will not go in them...ever!

here are some picks of my tank now.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60550-albums9209-picture36214.jpg
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60550-albums9209-picture36216.jpg

Any other materials that are easily cleaned that could be cool in the tank please note!

To be sure of their safety, you can scrub them and soak them with a 10% bleach solution. Do NOT boil them.

Because gaseous pockets within the rock can explode.

Sort of. DW can be boiled to render it safe or soaked long term. I never use bleach on wood. Most will need to be soaked long term to fully submerge, but you can tie it down or weight it.

As for your cichlids bothering each other part of the reason is that everyone in your tank is low. Cichlids a territorial like any other animal and will try to carve out a area just for themselves. Line of sight is a big factor. If they can't make barriers they will claim the whole area.

My suggestion is to build up a little more and cross the tank with rocks/plants/airstone just something to let them claim a area and set up these boundaries. I used holey rock to do it and works great. I have 3 dominate males that use to chase each other like crazy but they leave each other alone making the rest of the tank less stressed.

Attachments

• image-804127706.jpg
    image-804127706.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 77
Yea that's what I'm trying to do but I don't want to go to the pet store and spend 30 on a rock! But that is nice to know so its just a line of sight, so if he can see the whole tank from one spot then he will try to control the whole tank.

HN1 said:
Sort of. DW can be boiled to render it safe or soaked long term. I never use bleach on wood. Most will need to be soaked long term to fully submerge, but you can tie it down or weight it.

How long would I have to soak it for it to stay down without weights?

It totally depends on the wood. Some will sink already, some can take years. You can weight it down with slate and stainless steel attachments. The denser the wood, the better. For rocks, check out a landscaping place. You can usually find good rock cheap.

Back
Top Bottom