Help with my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not that I'm proud of it but I kept about that many+ a pleco in a 20 for a few months I was new to fish keeping and was told it was ok but now there in a 55 healthy and breeding. So what I'm saying is jus get a bigger tank asap people are kinda over reaching.

Some people are coming at him the wrong way enough for me to say something about it. I understand he has a over stocked and too small tank.

20 gallons isn't just alittle too small its tiny and the way people have commented reflect their own feelings on the matter in hand.

What if i added a fluval u2?

It still won't work you'll need to spend the money on a bigger tank. With some of the ones you've chosen here, you should start with a 55. Even though there are some that can be kept in smaller tanks but none of the above apply.

Your supposed to overstock cichlid tanks to reduce aggression buddy.

That's not completely true and most of us try to not recommend doing so. I've seen it go bad both ways

Ok dam what if i got a better filter? Can i house 8 cichlids?

No the filter in this case isn't going to help at all. Even if you changed the stock a little, 8 will still be to many. If you can't get a bigger tank you should consider re homing all the fish and going a different route

Hmm, i though they did. Well thanks for the info:)
I got info from many sites that said they were best kept in pairs, so i thought they could pair:eek:

Actually they should be 1 male to 3 females but even some males will need more than that.

To the op these may help ya out some on a new stock list

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_20g.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_10g.php

Last edited:
It still won't work you'll need to spend the money on a bigger tank. With some of the ones you've chosen here, you should start with a 55. Even though there are some that can be kept in smaller tanks but none of the above apply.

That's not completely true and most of us try to not recommend doing so. I've seen it go bad both ways

No the filter in this case isn't going to help at all. Even if you changed the stock a little, 8 will still be to many. If you can't get a bigger tank you should consider re homing all the fish and going a different route

Actually they should be 1 male to 3 females but even some males will need more than that.

To the op these may help ya out some on a new stock list

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_20g.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_10g.php

I have them all in a 40g breeder but i wanted to make the 40 strictly lake T. And move all the lake M and mbunas to the 20g. I will be investing in a bigger tank in the future but not anytime soon.

I have them all in a 40g breeder but i wanted to make the 40 strictly lake T. And move all the lake M and mbunas to the 20g. I will be investing in a bigger tank in the future but not anytime soon.

What are the tanganyika Cichlids? A lot of those such as shell dwellers will do better than the Malawi mbuna in a small tank. Mbuna grow pretty fast and with the ones you've chose will probate ly be stunted in the first year.

What are the tanganyika Cichlids? A lot of those such as shell dwellers will do better than the Malawi mbuna in a small tank. Mbuna grow pretty fast and with the ones you've chose will probate ly be stunted in the first year.

Well i have 2 frontosas 1 dafodil 1 julie 1 calvus

Agreed either look into an upgrade pretty quickly or post an add on Craigslist or whatever. You are stocking a lot of potential large fish and we are not attacking just giving some simple advice so that you have a great experience with your fish in the long term and the fish have the ability to live out a long life. I understand you make some mistakes and you can probably get a away with keeping some small ones for now but look into an upgrade asap.

I agree. Better start with a bigger tank. Why. If you get the fish fever like we all do you always want more fish and end up overstocking the tank. I started. From 10 gallon to a 30gallon to 55gallon to a 150 gallon. Just wanted more fish. I understand you want cichlids. But these fish is better to start out with a 55 gallon tank. Read a lot of info over them. On the net take your time to select your fish. Good luck.

No

If all that you have access to is a 20 gallon you should look into a peaceful tropical community and rehome the chiclids. Trust me I one had an over stocked 20 gallon full of incompatible fish and it was terrible. I had to do the right thing and rehome all of the fish... Since then I have upgraded to a 55 gallon and have a community tank after learning about how to be a responsible fish keeper. Good luck!(y)

Ok what if i got a better filter? Can i house 8 cichlids?

A 20 gallon is only big enough for a pair of dwarf cichlids to spawn in it. And you need a 20 long at least for a pair of normal cichlids to spawn in. The fish you want require atleast 55g! Othersie you will have major issues and deaths. Overstoxking a bigger tank works because the fish have room to get away. In a 20 gallon the fish will always be getting attacked and never be able to get away. Also the will most likely be stunted.
A sponge filter is not going to work for your tank. But your tank can't hold 8 fish that have big bioloads and get almost the same size of the depth of your tank...

Totally agree. But often times a large sum of chiclids can live compacted in a bigger tank. But doesnt work the same for a smaller tank

A sump on a 20? To much work in my eyes I would just grab some hob ac 30s. The submersible would be stupid to get. Your tank is already small why would you want to loose space with the filter.

Back
Top Bottom